Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: a little help for a beginner?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: a little help for a beginner?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 02:25:14 pm »
^^^^
+1
Spigots (and valves) on fermenters scare the heck out of me.  Once you take your first sample, there's beer residue up in there growing all manner of nasties, and you can't properly disassemble and clean it out until you've emptied out all the beer -- through the contaminated spigot.  They're fine on a bottling bucket, because you start clean, and bottle the whole lot in one operation through the  clean spigot.
I have a spigot. I only use it once per batch: the one time I transfer to the keg. I douse the spigot with with Starsan before the transfer and keep the opening pointing downward while it sits in the fermentation chamber. I have big mouth bubblers. If I want a sample I go in through the top. I usually don’t sample though.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
^^^^
+1
Spigots (and valves) on fermenters scare the heck out of me.  Once you take your first sample, there's beer residue up in there growing all manner of nasties, and you can't properly disassemble and clean it out until you've emptied out all the beer -- through the contaminated spigot.  They're fine on a bottling bucket, because you start clean, and bottle the whole lot in one operation through the  clean spigot.
I have a spigot. I only use it once per batch: the one time I transfer to the keg. I douse the spigot with with Starsan before the transfer and keep the opening pointing downward while it sits in the fermentation chamber. I have big mouth bubblers. If I want a sample I go in through the top. I usually don’t sample though.
PS. I think mouth starting the siphon is fine. After fermentation there isn’t much chance of infection. I guess you’re blowing some (very little) oxygen into the fermenter though.

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 04:14:18 pm »
That's a good point. Hadn't thought about that. Do the auto siphons work well?
Yep, they're great. 

Tommy's system addresses the problem well too.  (You can just use a "thief" or turkey baster to take a sample from the top.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:22:26 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 04:41:08 pm »
^^^^
+1

My fermenter (Fermonster) spigot has a small vent hole at the top that is closed when the spigot is open and open to the output when the spigot is closed. I can flush out the spigot with Starsan using this vent. I take a piece of hose that is half filled with Starsan and put it on the output of the spigot. As I raise the open end of the hose the Starsan goes into the spigot and out the small vent hole at the top.  I normally take samples through the top with a turkey baster and only use the spigot when transferring to the bottling bucket, so flushing it once is fine with me. If I took samples through the spigot I would flush it with water after sampling and Starsan before sampling.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

a little help for a beginner?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »
I always thought the little shake siphons are cool. https://www.homebrewing.org/12-Simple-Siphon-Kit_p_7914.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »
I always thought the little shake siphons are cool. https://www.homebrewing.org/12-Simple-Siphon-Kit_p_7914.html

That does look cool.  Really works?  (I'm gonna total my back one day dumping the PBW or whatnot out of my 10 gal corny fermenter.  That looks like just the thing to put the first half down the floor drain.  Says I sipping a homebrew recovering from said dumping.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »

That does look cool.  Really works?  (I'm gonna total my back one day dumping the PBW or whatnot out of my 10 gal corny fermenter.  That looks like just the thing to put the first half down the floor drain.  Says I sipping a homebrew recovering from said dumping.)

https://youtu.be/lPa3uBNy3Jg

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:13 pm »

Got one ordered,  thanks!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 05:58:11 am »
I have one for putting gas in my boat’s gas tank at a dock from a gas can.  Works great for that.  I could see using it in non-beer liquid transfers in the brewhouse.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 08:28:37 am »
That's a good point. Hadn't thought about that. Do the auto siphons work well?

I have no experience with those.  Siphoning is so easy without one that I never felt the need to use one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 08:37:47 am »
I have one for putting gas in my boat’s gas tank at a dock from a gas can.  Works great for that.  I could see using it in non-beer liquid transfers in the brewhouse.
Yeah, that's all I plan to use it for.   I wouldn't use it for  beer because it looks difficult to position precisely in the vessel, and if you need to restart, it wouldn't be as easy and  could end up stirring up sediment.   Autosiphon and regular siphon are good on those counts.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 01:51:25 pm »

Got one ordered,  thanks!
Already got this thing.  Super speedy service,  if pricey shipping, from AIH.  It's a hoot, almost giggled watching how fast it started and sucked down a gallon of water.  Should serve nicely for the purposes I have in mind.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:58 pm »
They’re cool!