Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing and sanitizing opened package of dry yeast  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Storing and sanitizing opened package of dry yeast
« on: October 09, 2018, 06:45:10 am »
I am quite compulsive about sanitizing and in 50 batches that I've brewed I've never had a spoiled one.

I've read about brewers adding one gram or 1/4 package of yeast when bottling--and leaving aside the issue of whether that's even necessary--it raises questions for me.

My normal procedure for handling dry yeast is to submerse the entire packet in a solution of star san, cut the top off with sanitized scissors, and dump the yeast into the fermenter.

If you were going to use one gram how would you would you sanitize your scale?
 Mine has a plastic tray.  If I put the tray in the star san solution it would be wet, and I wouldn't have a sterilized dry towel to remove the water from the tray.

Similarly, how do you measure  1/4 packet of yeast in a sanitary manner?

And finally how do you store the opened packet of yeast and how long will the opened packet retain its viability?  I only brew about every six weeks.  If there were any questions remaining about viability or contamination, I would rather dispose of the opened package and use a new one.

Am I just being too anal about all of this?  I

Thanks for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Storing and sanitizing opened package of dry yeast
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:24 am »
I have never added yeast for bottling. There has always been enough residual yeast in my beer to carbonate in the bottle. Even when bottling beer from a secondary that has dropped clear. If you must add yeast, a dry paper towel from a freshly opened roll should be sufficiently sterile to wipe the tray. I would throw away the unused portion of yeast. Better yet, skip the yeast, just prime and bottle.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:55:26 am »
You could clean then sanitize a Pyrex ramekin to measure in. To store fold over the top of the open bag, place it in a food saver bag, then vacuum seal it with a food saver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:24 am »
I've tried saving packs of dry yeast twice, both times with poor results.  If you're intent on storing it, I'd try BrewBama's suggestion
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:14:58 am »
I would not re-use it.  My time, even though I'm retired, is worth more than the cost of one yeast packet.

However, it was a theoretical question.  I did experiment with sugar dots for priming, but for the last several years have been using table sugar or brown sugar for priming without adding any additional yeast beyond the full packet I put in the fermenter.  And, I've had satisfactory results.

Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:41:09 am »
Aluminum foil right off the roll is effectively sterile and can be used throughout the homebrewing process:

- Tear off a small piece and use it as a weigh-boat for gram or sub-gram amounts
- a large piece can be laid down on a table/countertop and used as a sterile surface for placing sanitized equipment.
- It can be used to cover a kettle while chilling (I get lots of bees and flies flying into my garage when I brew; covering the kettle during chilling gives me piece of mind).
- I wrap my knockout tubing and oxygenation wand in foil after pasteurizing in my HLT, since it'll be a couple hours until I use them.

I've bought 500-gram bricks of US-05 and wrapped the unused portion in foil, then put it into a ziploc, to store in the fridge for several months. No issues. If it makes you feel better, you can lightly spray the foil first with a spray sanitizer, but this isn't necessary.