Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More Band News for MD Craft Beer Fans?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
More Band News for MD Craft Beer Fans?
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:14:15 am »
https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2018/10/8/wtf-md-misunderstandings-potential-bias-could-impact-beers-future-in-maryland

While a find the article to have a bit of a distopian outlook on the situation, it does give some insight into just how bad things are getting here...and how that ilk may spread.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: More Band News for MD Craft Beer Fans?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:11:17 pm »
In a world where millionaires get huge handouts to build stadiums, it's a shame that an industry focused on local production and products doesn't get more support.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
Ooh. I like the "expert"  behind this who's "fairly skeptical of pure objectivity in science." 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:35:34 pm »
Ooh. I like the "expert"  behind this who's "fairly skeptical of pure objectivity in science."

I feel like we could be getting a quote out of context? Is he skeptical that you can be purely objective, and that you always bring your own bias into it? Maybe I'm trying to give him too much credit.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:43 pm »

I feel like we could be getting a quote out of context? Is he skeptical that you can be purely objective, and that you always bring your own bias into it? Maybe I'm trying to give him too much credit.
My interpretation was that he does feel all science is inherently politicized,  which makes it problematic for him to muster science in his own favor.  But that's the mess we're in when it comes to any attempt at evidence based policy making. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »
This is a good summary of the legislature and their nonsense last year.  However I think a lot of that was a reactionary take that  is ultimately doomed to fail as more facts spread about local beer.  We had 20+ (maybe more) breweries open this year including  Baltimore county farm breweries in historic agricultural areas that are making the most of new zoning and liquor licensing that didn't exist 5 years ago.

I'm hopeful but it's still good to spread the word about how legislation can create, or kill, these businesses.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:53:01 am »
This is a good summary of the legislature and their nonsense last year.  However I think a lot of that was a reactionary take that  is ultimately doomed to fail as more facts spread about local beer.  We had 20+ (maybe more) breweries open this year including  Baltimore county farm breweries in historic agricultural areas that are making the most of new zoning and liquor licensing that didn't exist 5 years ago.

I'm hopeful but it's still good to spread the word about how legislation can create, or kill, these businesses.

On that note, my county still has a whopping 0 breweries. Between the high price of floor space and an unfriendly liquor board we're kinda stuck.

One might be opening soon though, so fingers crossed...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 04:25:04 pm »

On that note, my county still has a whopping 0 breweries. Between the high price of floor space and an unfriendly liquor board we're kinda stuck.

One might be opening soon though, so fingers crossed...

That sucks!  Local laws are definitely part of it.  Doesn't matter how friendly the state is if the local zoning and laws are prohibitive.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:01:52 pm »
I wish the damn government would just leave us the hell alone.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge