Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The future has never seemed more bleak  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
The future has never seemed more bleak
« on: October 15, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
https://earther.gizmodo.com/drink-beer-while-you-can-still-afford-it-1829754901

The study expects future yields of barley, beer’s key ingredient, to drop from 3 to 17 percent worldwide due to extreme heat and drought events by 2099. Depending on where you live, beer prices could spike in those years as a result, from 52 percent to more than 600 percent.

:'(

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: The future has never seemed more bleak
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
2099, no worries here!

One can hope that plant breeding can help with drought resistant crops, and crops that can be grown in new areas.

Germany had a poor harvest of wheat and barley this year. It was really dry there in August. Some parts had not had rain since the beginning of April. They are to start having some rain this week.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »
Yeah, my yields will be down by then too.  But.

There should be plenty of good malting barley from Greenland by then at least.   And hops!  Think how ideal the daylight hours are there in season...

Sorry for the gallows humor. 

I have occasionally mused about how much CO2 brewing produces, from fermentation as well as energy production, and what some future, low-carbon brewing might be like.  I imagine something mashed (can't help it) but not boiled (like original Berliner Weiße) would save energy.  Yeasts that require no temperature control.   Everything old new again.  Or maybe entirely new processes will be developed to reduce the energy demands of mashing, boiling and fermentation (some are already being kicked around.)  But.  Still need agricultural products in the first place.

Drink 'em if you got 'em.

(I'm really depressed and need a beer now.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:05 pm »
It was long ago when Henny Penny declared that the sky was falling in. It hasn't yet and likely won't in our lifetime.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »
By the time 2099 hits, each of us will either be dead, or sorted by social classes into the "haves" and "have-nots".  I intend to be dead, and prior to that, one of the "haves".  My kids are bright and should be okay as well.  If they were morons, I might be a little more worried, maybe.  But of course, when we're dead we won't really care.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:42:49 pm »
I read about this report in the NYT.  The motivation behind the study was basically to illustrate that not only will the obvious poor people in poor countries be displaced and otherwise affected, but that even the "haves" will be affected,  by, e. g., this impending  beer crisis. (Tell them their beer is going away, you've got their attention.)  The researchers coined a term I kind of like for the likes of beer, and coffee, and other such products likely to be affected similarly:  "luxury essentials."  Meaning, you don't really need them to survive, but if you're rich enough to live in the developed world,  you really do need them. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:25 pm »
I'm banking on the premise that there will always be enough beer to satisfy the people still alive.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:19 pm »
I'm banking on the premise that there will always be enough beer to satisfy the people still alive.
Agreed. History shows that this is the case.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »
Agreed. History shows that this is the case.
Especially if we start stockpiling beer and eliminating the competition now... It's the beerpocalypse!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
So the more I read the worse this looks.  The "study" I mean.  Not only did they set out to find exactly what they did -- a probability that beer will get scarce and expensive  -- all hoping to scare people in rich and influential countries into taking action on climate change, but: They are also under the impression that Ireland and the Czech Republic are rich and influential countries.   
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:55:08 am »
I saw this in the news this AM.  Appealing to beer drinkers to assist in correcting climate change is probably not the best use of their resources.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:57 am »
I planted winter rye as a cover crop in my garden.  Maybe I should learn to malt rye.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:41:37 am »
Doesn't matter because we'll all be drinking Brawndo by then anyways

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:50:16 am »
I saw this in the news this AM.  Appealing to beer drinkers to assist in correcting climate change is probably not the best use of their resources.

What's more,  the obvious bias in their methods will give ammunition to those who don't believe in science.   And still the best they could do was a result predicting the least inconvenience for the countries that could do the most.   I'm  not much of a soccer fan,  but think that's called "scoring an own goal."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:09:22 am »

What's more,  the obvious bias in their methods will give ammunition to those who don't believe in science.   And still the best they could do was a result predicting the least inconvenience for the countries that could do the most.   I'm  not much of a soccer fan,  but think that's called "scoring an own goal."

Not really sure that matters, it's not like people have listened to the science before.