Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Winter Warmer - Odell Isolation  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
Winter Warmer - Odell Isolation
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:39:53 am »
We just moved from Golden, CO to Austin so I'm wanting to make a clone to one of our fall favorites, Isolation.  I've done some digging and found the below recipe although it was tough to locate.  Has anyone tried this recipe on their own before?  If so, what recipe did you follow?  I gotta get going as the ideal time to make this bad boy is upon us!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/434424/odell-s-isolation-ale-clone

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Winter Warmer - Odell Isolation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:37:24 am »
Maybe contact the guys at Pinthouse Pizza in Austin. Apparently he is from Odell. Maybe he can give you some tips. I love Odell but they are not very helpful in providing specific info on their beers. 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline RChilton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 01:47:52 pm »
Edit! I brewed THIS version:
https://andybrews.com/2016/11/19/isolation-ale-clone/

I brewed this exact recipe last weekend! It's fermenting nicely, OG was 1.058 after wort had cooled, I wanted a bit more 'winter warmer' so threw some dark DME into the fermenter which will get it up to 1.065ish.  I only used one pack of S-04, which when I take a gravity reading later today, I will know if it was a mistake or not.

I'm planning on adding a tiny bit of spruce extract to the keg.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:50:10 pm by Ralph Chilton »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:24:49 pm »
If you use spruce extract make sure your tiny amount is tiny.  That stuff is powerful.  And nasty IMO.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline RChilton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:15:39 pm »
If you use spruce extract make sure your tiny amount is tiny.  That stuff is powerful.  And nasty IMO.

Fully prepared to be extra conservative with the extract!  I love the spruce in Ft George's Magnanimous IPA, but didn't want to risk a whole batch with unsure results from adding actual spruce to the boil.

Gravity at 1.019 after 4 full days fermenting, looks like 1 yeast packet was enough. Tastes pretty good too!

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:18:29 am »
Maybe contact the guys at Pinthouse Pizza in Austin. Apparently he is from Odell. Maybe he can give you some tips. I love Odell but they are not very helpful in providing specific info on their beers.

Wow, we haven't tried that place yet.  I'll have to give a look and start picking brains.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 09:19:45 am »
Edit! I brewed THIS version:
https://andybrews.com/2016/11/19/isolation-ale-clone/

I brewed this exact recipe last weekend! It's fermenting nicely, OG was 1.058 after wort had cooled, I wanted a bit more 'winter warmer' so threw some dark DME into the fermenter which will get it up to 1.065ish.  I only used one pack of S-04, which when I take a gravity reading later today, I will know if it was a mistake or not.

I'm planning on adding a tiny bit of spruce extract to the keg.

Boom, let me know how it turns out!  This is one of wifee's faves so I can't afford to mess it up...

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:49 am »

Wow, we haven't tried that place yet.  I'll have to give a look and start picking brains.  Thanks for the tip!

Pinthouse is great. They have two locations in Austin (north on Burnet and south on Lamar) with slightly different lineups. Food is pretty good, too.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline RChilton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:53 am »
Kegged on Sunday, carbing and conditioning for the next week.  FG came in at 1.014.  I skipped the spruce, but might add as a super diluted tincture to individual pints.

With the US-O4, the yeast cake was really compacted, but I didn't bother harvesting the yeast as I've plenty currently.

Must admit I've not had the beer this is a 'clone' of, was just looking for a good winter ale recipe and I liked the grain bill for this (ok, and the label too).  Had a taste and it's dark and pleasant.  Few days to knock the rough corners off the flavours and they are going to blend very nicely on the palate.

will update with pics when serving.