Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Text errors in Nov/Dec 2018 issue  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Dave Carpenter

• Zymurgy editor
  • Cellarman
  • Zymurgy editor
    • American Homebrewers Association
Text errors in Nov/Dec 2018 issue
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:18 am »
Some of you may have noticed that the Nov/Dec 2018 issue of Zymurgy featured a few text errors, especially in the article on Kräusening. Here are the ones I'm currently aware of.

Page 38, first column, under the "BREW IT AGAIN" heading, second paragraph should read as follows:
At the 5-gallon (19-liter) scale, one way to do this is to brew 4.5 gallons (17 L) of beer. When fermentation starts winding down, brew 5 gallons (18.9 L) of the same beer. When this second beer reaches high kräusen (the peak of fermentation), or slightly before, transfer half a gallon (about 2 liters) of fermenting beer to your initial batch. This will leave you with 4.5 gallons (17 L) of fermenting beer in one vessel and 5 gallons (18.9 L) of kräusened beer in the other. When the fermentation of the second batch is wrapping up, you can brew a third batch, and so on until you want to brew something different.

Page 38, second column, under the "SAVE SOME WORT" heading, second paragraph should read as follows:
For this to work, you need to be very sanitary in your handling of the kräusen wort and keep an aliquot (separate pitch) of your yeast strain healthy while the main batch ferments. If you store the reserved wort in a sanitized glass bottle, you can put the bottle in a plastic bag and pour crushed ice around it. Store the bag in your refrigerator and the wort will remain somewhere between fridge temperature and 32°F (0°C). The ice is not strictly needed, but I think it helps a little.

It's upsetting, particularly since this was the rollout of a new look and feel, and you might wonder if those text errors have anything to do with the refreshed look. The TL;DR version is that no, it's just really unfortunate timing, and a glitch in collaboration software is to blame. I apologize for the fault in the text, and those responsible have been sacked.

For those wanting more info, allow me to illustrate with an analogy. Imagine writing a 30,000-word report in Microsoft Word (a terrible idea, but stay with me). You read through it several times and have a couple of trusted colleagues do the same. Once you're all happy with it, you export the Word doc as a PDF. You thumb through the PDF to make sure all the images look right, check that text is properly aligned, and so forth. And then you hand it over to your boss. Unbeknownst to you, when you saved the PDF, the file converter garbled a few lines that you and your colleagues had worked on at different times. You would never have suspected this because you've saved PDFs countless times before without incident. The first you hear of it is when your boss wants to know why some of the sentences are gibberish.

That's a simplified metaphorical origin story for the text errors in the Nov/Dec issue. Words that looked great on screen got mangled in the process of creating the files we uploaded to the printer. Turns out the new-ish collaboration tool we had been using for nearly a year, which was meant to simplify how multiple editors and designers work on the same document, introduced inexplicable text errors in several places.

Every sentence that goes into an issue of Zymurgy gets read by several people, and I personally read every story at least four times before we go to press. That said, the errors in the Nov/Dec 2018 issue ultimately lie with me, and I apologize for the screwy text. We have ditched the defective collaboration tool, notified the developers thereof that there are bugs, and reverted to our previous process.

Thanks for reading the magazine and for bearing with us during this hiccup.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:56:26 am by Dave Carpenter »
Editor, Zymurgy and AHA Special Projects
American Homebrewers Association