Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chips and Salsa Beer  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Tiffany Briglin

• 1st Kit
Chips and Salsa Beer
« on: December 10, 2018, 07:04:53 pm »
Our local brewery Cogstone in Colorado Springs serves the best beer and it's called chips and salsa. It literally tastes like chips and salsa so of course, i want to try to figure out how they made it. So I know that they start with an American Cream Ale and they have in there green hatch chilli's and they use something to give it a tortilla taste but I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's flaked corn or maybe they use real tortilla chips. Whatever they use, it turns out amazing and everyone I talk to that's been there absolutely loves it. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Chips and Salsa Beer
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:19:08 pm »
Yes, a local place made it based on a recipe from Mike O'Brien. A trick is to use corn tortilla chips before they are deep-fried to avoid the oil. Hope this helps.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:46:42 am »
Kindareminds me of the Cool Ranch Doritos beer that Bainbridge Brewing makes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 09:14:15 am »
I would not discount that they may just buy bags of chips and throw them in the mash.

Purpose Brewing in Fort Collins made a beer that tastes like street tacos (in a good way, really) that is made with a little smoked malt and tortilla chips. I asked if the beer was made with masa or if they nixtamalized corn for the beer. No, just tortilla chips.

I know when tortilla chips are brought up somebody always mentions grease as a problem but anybody who has brewed with them claims it's not a problem. I haven't done it myself but I could see the small amount of grease getting caught in the grain bed and not making it into the beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:47 pm »
My first thought is,why? My second thought is, why not just drink a nice lager with chips and salsa. My third thought is, why not just drink a nice lager with chips and salsa? IDK, I just want beer to be beer and food to be food. Of course, I do love me some pepperoni pizza! Mmmmm, pepperoni and bread beer.... just have to figure out the how!!

Offline Tiffany Briglin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 06:36:39 pm »
Tortilla chips is an interesting idea which I may just try. The beer is so so good and I was very disappointed when it ran out. So, green hatch chili’s and tortilla chips in a cream ale it is! I’m gonna give it a shot

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:08:45 am »
Chili lager, apple pie porter, orange and nutmeg Christmas amber. All very nice to have "one of" but I can't imagine working my way through an entire keg.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 09:00:41 am »
Tortilla chips is an interesting idea which I may just try. The beer is so so good and I was very disappointed when it ran out. So, green hatch chili’s and tortilla chips in a cream ale it is! I’m gonna give it a shot
As one who has been spending time in New Mexico, and love the food, a Hatch Green Chile and Chips beer sounds great.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!