Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Puerto Rican Pernil  (Read 1282 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Puerto Rican Pernil
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:08:46 am »
No photos, but we happened to see a segment on a restaurant serving Pernil and I decided we needed to give it a whirl. Had been on the lookout for an inexpensive pork shoulder and came across one which was on sale and had been deboned so off to the races. It's a ridiculously simple and delicious recipe:

12 garlic cloves
2 tbs dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbs salt
3 tbs olive oil
3 tbs white vinegar

Spin all the above in a small food processor or mash into a paste using a mortar and pestle. Make deep slits with a thin knife in the pork shoulder and work the paste into the slits. Refrigerate for 8 to 48 hours. (I did two days.) Set out at room temp for two hours then into a 300F oven skin side down for two hours. Turn and cook at least two more hours or until done.

We served it as street tacos with guacamole, cilantro, and radishes.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Puerto Rican Pernil
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:32:57 am »
Sounds tasty.  Still shooting for 195-200° internal temp to break down collagen? 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Puerto Rican Pernil
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 07:44:53 am »
It just needs to be done, 145F, but IMO it would be better if you allowed it to cook to those temps. Since my cut was boneless much of if was easy to separate, but I had one section which was done, but it was obvious did not hit the necessary temp to separate with ease.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!