Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Availability of Wyeast 1028  (Read 3017 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Availability of Wyeast 1028
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:54:04 am »
Has anyone had problems with obtaining Wyeast 1028 from their LHBS.  Our local one has been trying to get it for over a month now with no luck. I am wondering if it is an issue with Wyeast or the distributor.  I hate to mail order it because I will probably end up with an older batch and/or one that has gotten warn during transit.  I always like to use the freshest yeast possible, do to my anal retentive nature when it comes to brewing.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Availability of Wyeast 1028
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
Goose, I'm stopping by the Grape & Granary later today and I'll ask if there's an update.  I see on their website that the Vine n Hop Shop in Brunswick (303 at I-71) has it in stock.  (And they offer AHA discounts!)  If it's a Wyeast production problem, that's a big problem, isn't that still the house strain at Great Lakes?

UPDATE

So I had noticed that Grape & Granary had been out of  stock on most White Labs and some Wyeast strains for quite some time.  They say that both companies had "propagation issues."  They still can't get 1028 (among other yeasts and other cultures) from Wyeast but some things appear to be coming through.  I just got a 1318 with a production date of Oct. 4.  I'd guess any 1028 you find out there won't be very fresh.   (BTW I don't think a distributor is involved,  they get it shipped right from the labs.)  Haven't looked on the labs' websites to see if they are acknowledging a problem and giving updates.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:10:20 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:43:21 am »
Goose, I'm stopping by the Grape & Granary later today and I'll ask if there's an update.  I see on their website that the Vine n Hop Shop in Brunswick (303 at I-71) has it in stock.  (And they offer AHA discounts!)  If it's a Wyeast production problem, that's a big problem, isn't that still the house strain at Great Lakes?

UPDATE

So I had noticed that Grape & Granary had been out of  stock on most White Labs and some Wyeast strains for quite some time.  They say that both companies had "propagation issues."  They still can't get 1028 (among other yeasts and other cultures) from Wyeast but some things appear to be coming through.  I just got a 1318 with a production date of Oct. 4.  I'd guess any 1028 you find out there won't be very fresh.   (BTW I don't think a distributor is involved,  they get it shipped right from the labs.)  Haven't looked on the labs' websites to see if they are acknowledging a problem and giving updates.

I called Grape and Granary about this yesterday, Rob.  They said that they have been trying for a month to get it.  A couple months back they were having trouble getting White Labs WLP002 as well.  Not sure what is going on either.  Didn't think about the Vine and Hop Shop though, will keep that in mind for the future.  I finally mail ordered some yesterday and asked for the freshest lot that they had and will have it on Friday.  I noticed that some bigger places like More Beer didn't have it either so maybe it is a lab issue.  Only places I found that had it during a cursory search were Midwest and Northern Brewer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:11:37 am »
I see they're still out of stock on 13 White Labs strains and 9 Wyeast.   Includes a number of best sellers.  Hope yours is fresh enough.  There's nothing on the labs' websites,  but it sure looks like a major issue at both places at once.  Meanwhile I got the one I wanted, then found dead fruit flies in my starter.   That's what took me back yesterday, will try again!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:47 am »
I see they're still out of stock on 13 White Labs strains and 9 Wyeast.   Includes a number of best sellers. 

This seems really odd.  Must be pure coincidence?!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:26:52 pm »
I see they're still out of stock on 13 White Labs strains and 9 Wyeast.   Includes a number of best sellers. 

This seems really odd.  Must be pure coincidence?!

It certainly is disconcerting.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:17:01 am »
I am wondering if the issue that Left Hand had with White Labs has led both them and Wyeast to re-evaluate their yeast products?  Left Hand had to tear all the piping in their brewery apart and fastidiously clean everything because of a contamination issue from the yeast.  Just wondering.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:00:57 am »
I am wondering if the issue that Left Hand had with White Labs has led both them and Wyeast to re-evaluate their yeast products?  Left Hand had to tear all the piping in their brewery apart and fastidiously clean everything because of a contamination issue from the yeast.  Just wondering.

Aha!  You might be onto something, maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:05:23 am »

I think I saw something on MTF about that possibility.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:37:50 am »
A quick Googling shows both companies have job openings in lab, production, and production supervision.   Maybe this is perfectly normal, I've never searched this subject.  Maybe it indicates some disruption.   I hesitate to read anything into it.   We may never know what happened.   All we can really do is wait for the retailers to start getting fresh inventory.   And maybe keep a pack or two of dry yeast in the back of the fridge. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »
Diastaticus?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:39:47 pm »
Diastaticus?
A strain of yeast that con secrete an enzyme to break down higher sugars and dextrines once normAl fermentation is finished. Think 3711, it will take a beer down to 1.002 or lower.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 04:43:44 pm »
My LHBS has been in the same boat. No WY 1028...back ordered direct from WY now for about 1 mos.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:39:51 pm »
Diastaticus?
A strain of yeast that con secrete an enzyme to break down higher sugars and dextrines once normAl fermentation is finished. Think 3711, it will take a beer down to 1.002 or lower.

Yes, I know, but do you think that is what this is about?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 05:58:50 am »
Diastaticus?

Yes, I know, but do you think that is what this is about?
It could be. Then again, it could be something else.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild