Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mangrove Jack M76 vs M84  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mangrove Jack M76 vs M84
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:01 am »
Has anyone used both of these strains in similar worts? What were your impressions of any differences in attenuation? I recently used M84 in a couple of beers and was disappointed with its level of attenuation with both beers finishing at 1.015.

Both beers were mashed at 150F for 60 minutes. Apparent attenuation was 70% and 73%. I would prefer my lagers finish closer to 1.010.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:07:20 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

Re: Mangrove Jack M76 vs M84
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:20:09 am »
I have used both. I got 78% attenuation with M76 twice in a Helles. The beers were good. The one with more notes had just this: “Very nice beer. Clean, malty, smooth. Could go for a bit more crispness.”

I have used M84 once in a Amber lager. Attenuation was 70%. I chocked it up to lots of caramel malt (10%). The beer was awesome though. It was a very malty beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:10:27 pm »
They seemed to remain a bit powdery well after the final days of fermentation, not clearing as quickly as I would hope, but taste-wise, I preferred the Bavarian (M84) to the Czech (M76).  YMMV and a different fermentation profile may change things here, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:18 pm »
They seemed to remain a bit powdery well after the final days of fermentation, not clearing as quickly as I would hope, but taste-wise, I preferred the Bavarian (M84) to the Czech (M76).  YMMV and a different fermentation profile may change things here, too.

M84 is actually the Bohemian which is what I have used. I agree in that this has not cleared very well for me up to this point.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 02:03:58 pm »
I have used both. I got 78% attenuation with M76 twice in a Helles. The beers were good. The one with more notes had just this: “Very nice beer. Clean, malty, smooth. Could go for a bit more crispness.”

I have used M84 once in a Amber lager. Attenuation was 70%. I chocked it up to lots of caramel malt (10%). The beer was awesome though. It was a very malty beer.

Thanks for your input. Both of the beers I did with M84 are malty amber styles so it works but I would personally want a light lager with more attenuation. Sounds like M76 would do the trick.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 04:56:25 am »
Got the numbers crossed, but I liked the Bavarian over the Czech, for what it’s worth.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:01:56 am »
Did you notice any tartness or low pH with the 1st generation pitch of the MJ Lager strains? 

Did you re-pitch or use another 1st gen pitch in your second beer?  If 2nd gen, did you notice any tartness or low pH in the finished second beer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:14:15 am »
Did you notice any tartness or low pH with the 1st generation pitch of the MJ Lager strains? 

Did you re-pitch or use another 1st gen pitch in your second beer?  If 2nd gen, did you notice any tartness or low pH in the finished second beer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a pH meter but the 1st generation did have a noticeable tartness to me. The 2nd generation is in a beer that is just carbing up. It's hard to perceive any tartness possibly because of some adjuncts that I used but I'll see in the coming days.

FWIW, I got 70% and 73% apparent attenuation on similar grists (Vienna, Marzen) that were mashed at 150F for 60 min. Not a big fan after trying this strain for the first time. Going to do a run with M76 next and probably go back to S-189 if it's not to my liking.