Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: controlling the temp with 110 Plastic conical fermenters  (Read 1665 times)

Offline adamrobbins2018

• 1st Kit
controlling the temp with 110 Plastic conical fermenters
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:58 am »
Factors for Buying Table Tennis Table

One of the basic requirements to lay a game of table tennis is the right table tennis table. Whether you want for recreational purposes or for professional play, this sport is incomplete without its most important factor. There are different types of tables available; therefore you need to take care before purchasing a table tennis table.

• Recreational: If you are looking for a table tennis table solely for recreational purp too, you need not invest in costly professional tables. You can buy the commonly available recreational table which can be stationed in your drawing room, garage or basement. In case the area is small, you could opt for non-standard small tables. With useful information about table tennis, my article will help you solve your problem: http://pingpongclan.com/how-to-hold-a-ping-pong-paddle-correctly-for-newbie/

• Play Room: If the table is to the playroom at a play room, schools or recreational centers wherein several players will be accessing it, you should look out for tables that are durable and are of finest quality. A club quality table is ideal for such settings.

• Professional Table Tennis Centers and Training Clubs: For professional training, it is important to choose a competition table which offers good thickness that allows for proper bounce throughout the length of the table,e. For tournaments it is important that the table be approved with ITTF (International table Tennis Federation) or USATT (USA Table Tennis).

Table Tennis Thickness

The thickness of the playing surface of the table can vary from 15mm to 25mm. Professional players opt for tables that are thick while beginners and recreational players use less thick models which are inexpensive and are perfect for recreational play. For recreational use, 19mm thick tabletops are sufficient. Outdoor tables may also be made of aluminum or resin which offers a metallic bounce. However such table are much more durable, especially when in outdoor conditions. A thick tabletop provides better resistance towards warping. Furthermore, thicker tabletops provide for consistence bounce.

While lower priced models come in various materials such as simple particleboard, the higher-end ones are made from materials which offer better warp resistance. Warping pretty much ruins the game play, therefore it is advisable to shell out more money for professional table tennis table.

Other Features

Playback: This is a feature that helps players to practice as it allows one side of the table be lifted upwards. This is an important feature for beginners in order to set their hand. However, keep in mind that this is an ideal way of practicing because it does not offer the trajectory as in an actual match since there is no spin from the opponent side. Alternatively, you can purchase a table tennis robot to practice better.

Legs and Frame Chassis: the legs and the chassis will determine the stability of the table. The thickness of the legs, the number of connection points within the chassis and the frame of the table all determine how stable and strong the table tennis table is.

By paying attention to the above discussed factors and determining your purpose, you will be able to buy a table tennis table easily from a vendor personally or through the internet.

needing input in the best way(cost effective/efficient) way to heat and cool 4-110 gallon plastic conical fermenters.  They will be in a standalone brewery space is 12x32. I was thinking of a window AC/heater but would love to find a way without running up the electric bill. Any input would be appreciated!! In the Ping pong now blog, there is a lot of ping pong table, paddle knowledge, let's click here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:56:55 am by adamrobbins2018 »

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
Re: controlling the temp with 110 Plastic conical fermenters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:39:36 am »
Admittedly I'm on the smaller end batch-wise for homebrewers on here, but is this a homebrew or commercial space you're starting?  That's what, 3 BBL per brew?

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:35 am »
Anyway, I'm not sure about efficiency/price points for glycol jackets for plastic fermenters of that size, but that would be more efficient than trying to heat/cool the entire room just to heat/cool the fermenters to the desired temp. Can you tell us more about your project?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:39:15 am »
My thought would be a coil system.  Like an immersion chiller but you don't remove it.  No experience with that type of thing but it is likely more efficient than cooling a whole room.

I suppose a second loop could supply heat if needed.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:17:01 pm »
Coil in each conical with a pump attached to your glycol system and a temp controller on the pump.
https://www.kegworks.com/stainless-steel-coil-for-jockey-box-50-length

If you are trying to be cheap I'd take a chest freezer on a temp controller and put your propylene glycol solultion in it and then circulate to the four conicals as needed.

The alternative would be to build a cold room and house them there, but that doesn't give you the ability to cool each independently.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 12:35:12 pm »
I don't think a window unit would cut it. Cooling the ambient air surrounding the fermenters works reasonably well for 7 gallons of beer, but I suspect it simply wouldn't work for fermentations of that volume. Even if money was no object, that setup simply would not be able to remove heat faster than or at the same rate that heat would be created inside the fermenter, especially given the relatively non-conductive nature of plastic. You're only real option is, as other posters have pointed out, an internal coil that you can pump glycol or ice water through.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »
There is a small brewery in my town, also the LHBS, that keeps its fermenters in individual stand-up, glass-doored refrigerators, each with its own temperature controller.  I think they brew 2 bbls at a time and have at least 5 of them.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:25:55 pm »
I don't think a window unit would cut it. Cooling the ambient air surrounding the fermenters works reasonably well for 7 gallons of beer, but I suspect it simply wouldn't work for fermentations of that volume. Even if money was no object, that setup simply would not be able to remove heat faster than or at the same rate that heat would be created inside the fermenter, especially given the relatively non-conductive nature of plastic. You're only real option is, as other posters have pointed out, an internal coil that you can pump glycol or ice water through.
I've seen this done with AC unit and a cool-bot.  A lot would depend on what the temp differential is between the outside space and the room and how well insulated the room is. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 03:48:49 am »
when I first opened my brewery we used 110 gallon fermentors in a cold room wrapped with heat "tape" (similar to this - https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fermotemp-electric-fermentation-heater) then insulated and controlled to heat with a thermowell and Ranco. In a 38 degree cold room I could keep the temp between 38n and 80 degrees no problems. Later we used a 600 gallon plastic fermentor and used a stainless coil immersed in the tank hooked up to the glycol. This worked but was a PITA to clean.