Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High pressure lager yeast experiment  (Read 3804 times)

Offline hulio555

• 1st Kit
High pressure lager yeast experiment
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:08:08 am »
I just split a batch of American lager into three corny kegs and fermented with three yeasts under 15psi of pressure. two were a definite do again, the third needs to condition out the sulfur some, so time will tell.  Lager beer at room temp in 2 weeks seems too good to be true, but it's looking that way so far.The only thread I could find was a year old, is there anyone doing this type of brewing?

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
Re: High pressure lager yeast experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:00:41 pm »
https://youtu.be/dt_kQtdj_Qs
This guy fermeted a lager in less than a week. Grain to glass. He has quite a few videos fermenting under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:36:56 pm »
Not surprised to hear about the lemon notes with 34/70 being rushed and blended with another yeast....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:37:08 am »
Chris White presented on pressurized fermentation at the Australian Homebrew Conference I just returned from.  We plan to get him on the Brew Files to talk about it more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:37:09 am »
Not surprised to hear about the lemon notes with 34/70 being rushed and blended with another yeast....
Hell, I pick it up when its not rushed!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:43:08 pm »

For sure - I have gone away from it for that reason; just thinking that rushing it would cause the lemon to be more intense than a typical fermentation profile...no science on that, just my speculation.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 01:26:12 pm »

For sure - I have gone away from it for that reason; just thinking that rushing it would cause the lemon to be more intense than a typical fermentation profile...no science on that, just my speculation.
No longer happy with 34/70 for various reasons, beyond lemon.  Wondering where to go next.   What are your current preferences,  Beerery and ynotbrusum?  Just curious.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:31:17 pm »

No longer happy with 34/70 for various reasons, beyond lemon.  Wondering where to go next.   What are your current preferences,  Beerery and ynotbrusum?  Just curious.
I have done a few split batches with 34/70 and S23 and overwhelmingly prefer the later.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 01:56:32 pm »

I have done a few split batches with 34/70 and S23 and overwhelmingly prefer the later.

And for me, S23 made some of the worst beers I've ever made.  As always, YMMV.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
S-189 is supposedly the Hurliman strain, but it produces a clean, if somewhat bland, lager; for dry lager yeasts it is my current go to yeast.  The 2206 is a consistent standby for liquid lager yeast IMHO.  I will take it out several generations without issue.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:00:52 pm »
2206 is what I'm leaning towards as a default.    BTW  by 34/70 I mean not (only) the dry, but all forms of W-34/70.  Not entirely sold on dry yeast just yet.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:48:28 pm »
2206 is my house yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:21 pm »
2206 is my house yeast.

Yeah, I play around with other ones to see what they're like but that's what I return to.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hulio555

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:00:35 am »
Chris White presented on pressurized fermentation at the Australian Homebrew Conference I just returned from.  We plan to get him on the Brew Files to talk about it more.
Brad smith has a podcast with chris and john blichmann which was my jumping off point, PS I may have stumbled upon something by using some dry yeast under pressure as it has no off flavors present in normal fermentation, perhaps it suppresses bacterial growth?