Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Improving length in mouth for a clone of the Saint Feuillien Belgian triple ?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Fseneca

• 1st Kit
Hello fellows,

I have recently brewed a clone of the St Feuillien triple. Although the appearance, aromas and first taste were spot on, the length in mouth is missing. They say on the Saint Feuillien website that it’s due to the density and long maturation ! My clone had only been in the bottle for 3 weeks at 18C before I have tried it.

So I wanted to ask you guys whether the length of the flavors you feel on the palate can really drastically be improved by how long you condition your triple? And I guess the density is really just the alcohol content or are they talking about something else?

Thanks for any experience-derived tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
What do you mean by "length in mouth"?

Offline Fseneca

• 1st Kit
Sorry about the confusion or bad translation to English. I mean that some beers have flavors that disappear very quickly and others leave you with flavors that linger in the mouth, hence « the length in mouth » which is one of the characteristics of a good triple. Thanks for your comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
I believe the English term you are looking for is "aftertaste", which is the taste that lingers long after you have it in your mouth.  I love beers that have a long pleasant malty aftertaste.  The best way I know to get a good aftertaste is by always using fresh high quality ingredients, and very little or zero adjuncts (such as sugar, corn, rice, etc.).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
probably the best term would be finish.I'd think of that as the combination of flavors that linger on the palate. Could be one flavor, multiple, combination (distinct or blended), etc. I'd think of aftertaste as one specific flavor that dominates the finish (with perhaps a negative connotation?). flavors will certainly change or develop with additional aging, but I can't really say whether this will specifically affect the finish.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Terminology is a matter of preference.  I don't like the term "finish" because if there are still flavors in the "finish", then your enjoyment (or lack thereof) truly is not "finished" yet.  The finish, to me, is 10 minutes later when I can't taste the beer at all anymore.  Then it's finished.

I don't think there needs to be any default negative connotation associated to either of these terms.  Could be positive, could be negative, could be in between.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
A typical bjcp score sheet calls this "mouthfeel - body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency."
Sometimes a beer that finishes too thin is the result of over attenuation, which could be from the use of simple sugars.  Sometimes the carbonation level can be the culprit.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Terminology is a matter of preference.  I don't like the term "finish" because if there are still flavors in the "finish", then your enjoyment (or lack thereof) truly is not "finished" yet.  The finish, to me, is 10 minutes later when I can't taste the beer at all anymore.  Then it's finished.

I don't think there needs to be any default negative connotation associated to either of these terms.  Could be positive, could be negative, could be in between.
That's why aftertaste and finish are not synonymous. Aftertaste means after you can taste it. Finish means those final flavors before you can no longer taste it. Unless you add "ed". Finished is the same as aftertaste. Finaltaste is the same as finish. Aftertaste is usually the same as pretaste, unless you are still experiencing the finish of something else.