Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to warm up...  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Estaban

• 1st Kit
How to warm up...
« on: October 26, 2018, 03:32:57 pm »
So I finally found a scratch and dent Beverage cooler for an unbeatable price to use as temp control for fermentation. It has a temp range of 33-50F I know most get done around 65F or so. Question is how do I raise it to 65F? I know I'll be able to do lagering with it at those temp ranges but I'd like to use it for all styles.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:35:56 pm by Estaban »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: How to warm up...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:59:56 pm »
You could use a temperature controller like this one:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64_65&products_id=334

The controller plugs into the outlet, the fridge plugs into the controller (this one is dual mode so you can connect a heating source as well), and the probe monitors the temperature of the fermentor.  The controller kicks the cooling or heating device on as necessary to maintain the temperature you set.

There are a bunch of different manufacturers and models to choose from.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »
Yep, lots of them.  The Inkbird controllers are very inexpensive and work very well.   If you get a two stage controller you can both cool,  cycling your fridge, and if needed add heat.  For heat a Fermwrap taped to the back wall of the chamber works great and only draws 40 watts.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Estaban

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 04:55:30 pm »
You could use a temperature controller like this one:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64_65&products_id=334

The controller plugs into the outlet, the fridge plugs into the controller (this one is dual mode so you can connect a heating source as well), and the probe monitors the temperature of the fermentor.  The controller kicks the cooling or heating device on as necessary to maintain the temperature you set.

There are a bunch of different manufacturers and models to choose from.

So basically set the fridge to 50F and then plug it into the controller then controller to the wall set at 65F?

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 05:07:04 pm »
No, you set the fridge to its coldest possible setting.  The controller just turns on power to the fridge when cooling is required to maintain the set temperature, and then shuts it off again.  The controllers generally allow you to input a couple of degrees of differential around your set point to avoid short-cycling the compressor.  With more thermal mass, your liquid will change temperature more slowly than the air around it, so it will hold steady.   
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Estaban

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:13:59 pm »
No, you set the fridge to its coldest possible setting.  The controller just turns on power to the fridge when cooling is required to maintain the set temperature, and then shuts it off again.  The controllers generally allow you to input a couple of degrees of differential around your set point to avoid short-cycling the compressor.  With more thermal mass, your liquid will change temperature more slowly than the air around it, so it will hold steady.

And that's why I'm glad I'm a member and learning how to do this stuff. Thanks for the answers!

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 05:18:22 pm »
You're welcome!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Estaban

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 05:24:29 pm »
You're welcome!

One last question if I may. Since it's got a see through glass front do you recommend leaving the temp probe in the air or in a small glass of water?

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 05:39:24 pm »
Leave the probe in air.  Again, liquid changes temperature more slowly than air,  but what you're directly controlling  is  the air temperature.  If the probe is in liquid, the controller will keep driving the air temperature down until it detects the set temperature in the liquid.   But now the air will be much colder, and the liquid (and your beer) will continue to drop until it's  below set temperature.   Then the controller will want to warm things up until set temperature is detected,  and you're in the opposite situation, and you get into an endless cycle with your poor beer fluctuating all over... and stress on the equipment.   The one thing you need to remember is that during active fermentation the beer will be a few degrees above ambient temperature.   So just monitor the beer temperature and you'll learn to set the controller to compensate.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:41:06 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »
Another option is to insulate the probe a bit and tape it to the side of the fermentor.  I take a ziplock bag, put a couple of sheets of paper towel in it, and tape it to the fermentor along the bottom and sides (but not the top) so that it makes a little pouch for the temp probe to slide into.  It insulates the probe and holds it tight against the fermentor.

Either method will work; it's just personal preference.

I have the previous version of the Auber controller I linked to above.  If I set the cold and hot set points .5 of a degree apart and set the differentials to .3 of a degree, it will keep the temp of the fermenting beer in a pretty tight band.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC