Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who do I sell to?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Faolan42

• 1st Kit
Who do I sell to?
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:44:23 pm »
I'm a mead maker in Utah, so I know we have pretty messed up laws, but I cn't find anywhere on whether I would have to sell to a distributor or to the DDA (department of drugs and alcohol). I first thought it was to the Department, then came across something about finding a wine broker to sell my mead, and then a distributor. I'm looking to go pro and have figured out almost everything else, this I just can't figure out.  Any information is appreciated.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Who do I sell to?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
IIRC, meadmakers have the "choice" of being regulated either as wineries or breweries at the federal level depending on the alcohol content of the mead.  You can be one, but not the other without getting an extra permit and probably jumping through a lot of hoops.  This might have changed but I doubt it.  Typically the choice you make at the federal level applies to the state level, but since you're in Utah who knows. 

I would start by looking for guidance at the TTB for mead to figure out if you are selling "beer" or "wine."

Offline Faolan42

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:12 pm »
That did not answer my question, my mead is typically 12%-15% whether I use yeast nutrient or not, so either way it will be classified as wine, beer in Utah is limited to 3.5%abv.
but how will I distribute my mead?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 05:13:14 am »
You can likely save yourself some frustration and time by simply calling the the Utah alcohol regulation department (whatever they call themselves) and discussing your options with them.  That's part of why they are there.  They can't collect taxes from producers if the producers can't figure out how to sell their goods.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:19 am »
IIRC, meadmakers have the "choice" of being regulated either as wineries or breweries at the federal level depending on the alcohol content of the mead.  You can be one, but not the other without getting an extra permit and probably jumping through a lot of hoops.  This might have changed but I doubt it.  Typically the choice you make at the federal level applies to the state level, but since you're in Utah who knows. 

I would start by looking for guidance at the TTB for mead to figure out if you are selling "beer" or "wine."

I think your referring to how they are taxed. There is s provision that low ABV meads (6% ?) That are carbonated are taxed as beer at a lower rate. Mead makers can't have grain on premise. This are things I remember talking to Ken Schramm over the years.

Some med makers also hold a brewing livense so they can make Braggot.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 06:45:52 am »

I think your referring to how they are taxed. There is s provision that low ABV meads (6% ?) That are carbonated are taxed as beer at a lower rate. Mead makers can't have grain on premise. This are things I remember talking to Ken Schramm over the years.

Some med makers also hold a brewing livense so they can make Braggot.
Looks like I was thinking about different tax treatment, not licenses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk