Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Screwed up!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline manyguns

• 1st Kit
Screwed up!
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:42:12 pm »
My first batch of Stout turned out great! However when brewing a Power Pack Porter from Midwest, I screwed up. I didn't put the malt in a sack. I drained it into the primary fermenter. There was a lot of malt floating around but most had settled on the bottom of the brew kettle. I plan to go to a secondary after initial fermentation. Will that take care  sedimenof most of the sediment? I don't have a filter. Am I going to have a nasty batch?
Thanks, Tom

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: Screwed up!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:07:49 pm »
All is not lost!  The grain should be settled at the bottom of the fermenter. Assuming you have another vessel about the same volume as your fermenter (like your boil kettle), sanitize that vessel and rack / transfer the wort to there using your autosiphon from the top of the fermenter.   Then clean and sanitize your fermenter and transfer the wort back in. Pitch your yeast if you have not done so already.  As long as everything is sanitized and fermentation has not started up, (your brew day was today), you should be fine.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:40:59 pm »
Did you end up boiling your grains then?  If so, you will probably find that your beer has an astringent/tannic pucker to it that can be caused by boiling grains.

Offline manyguns

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:12:30 pm »
Yes , I did boil the darker grain. When I transferred from the boil kettle to the fetmentater carboy, it appeared that the grains had pretty much settled to the bottom of the boil kettle. So maybe I can skip the siphoning to another vessel? Any way to get rif of instringency?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »
Did the grain Appear to be stuck to the bottom of your boil kettle. Scorched on there even maybe? I bad A grAin bag stick to the bottom once, burned a hole right through it, even at steeping temps so scorched flavor throughout luckily I was brewing  smoked porter

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline manyguns

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
No, nothing stuck, but it did taste a little burnt. Yes, maybe smoked porter, lol.😉

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:52 pm »
Good catch on the boil. I totally missed that. Agree that there could be some astringency. But sometimes things turn out better than expected despite the mistakes we make.