Author Topic: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels  (Read 171 times)

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
Leaving Saturday for Amsterdam for a few days, then on to Brussels for about 2 weeks.

Will think about all of you while raising another glass! 8)

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
Leaving Saturday for Amsterdam for a few days, then on to Brussels for about 2 weeks.

Will think about all of you while raising another glass! 8)

Have fun!  Brussels is  a beautiful city.  Take a day trip out to Brugges if you're there for 2 weeks.  It's a very nice ancient town/tourist magnet.

I haven't been to Amsterdam.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
2 things I highly reccomend in Brussels....the Musical Instrument Museum and especially this beer and chocolate walking tour....https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g1136493-d12863472-Hungry_Mary_s_Famous_Beer_and_Chocolate_Tour_Brussels-Ixelles_Brussels.html

Not only great chocolates and beer (and lots of both!) but Adrian, the guide has lots of info about the architecture and history of Brussels.  Great tips on which bars to avoid, and you go to some of the historic bars of Brussels. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the link, Denny. Will be working, most likely night shift, but that might leave some daylight time for exploration 8)

Offline Pinchart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:25:58 PM »
Don't buy anything around the Grand-Place,  the prices are high for tourists (and don't go into a restaurant in this area,  everything is too expensive. )
For bars:
- Moeder Lambiek place Fontainas  (a lot of craft beers )
- L'atelier rue Élise (small but a lot of Belgian beers)
- if you don't have one in your city there is a Brewdog bar in front of Gare Centrale
- a myth: Delirium, impasse de la fidélité  ( 2000 beers) - close to Grand-Place

Don't go to La Bécasse.  It has been sold and the beers are now industrial ones.

If you want to buy beers, go to the Carrefour Supermarket in Kraainem. They propose 600 beers at à normal price.

And you MUST visit Cantillon. Close to this historical brewery, you have a craft one, L'ermitage.

Envoyé de mon SM-A500FU en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline spurviance

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:06:57 AM »
 Brouwerij 't IJ in Amsterdam.   Small brewery with a great selection, best dopplebock I’ve ever tasted, lively crowd of locals, closes early.

+1 for the musical instrument museum in Brussels.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:21:44 AM »
Well, the Brussels part of the trip is cancelled. The aircraft operator found hangar space in Amsterdam, so all the repairs will be completed there. I was really looking forward to the Brussels segment. :'(

Offline Pinchart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
I confirm 't Ij Brouwerij produces very good beers. I didn't have the luck to visit it but I tasted their beers.