Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Celebration  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Celebration
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 07:55:47 pm »
Oddly, I haven't seen it in my area...but I found some fresh SNPA, so I've got that going for me...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 08:01:01 pm »
Oddly, I haven't seen it in my area...but I found some fresh SNPA, so I've got that going for me...
Wait, Phil -- you found FRESH BEER?  I'm marking my calendar.... ;D

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:55 pm »
Well when I went back the following week, all the SNPA they had was brewed in May '18. Oh well, at least I got the fresh stuff when I did.

Oh, and they had a single 12-pack of Celebration, which I bought. Still the only one I've seen around...

Today I scored a suitcase of Yuengling that was 23 days old today though. That's not going to last long, as tasty as it is that fresh...

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:45:59 pm »
Well when I went back the following week, all the SNPA they had was brewed in May '18. Oh well, at least I got the fresh stuff when I did.

Oh, and they had a single 12-pack of Celebration, which I bought. Still the only one I've seen around...

Today I scored a suitcase of Yuengling that was 23 days old today though. That's not going to last long, as tasty as it is that fresh...
Bummer.  Hey, I haven't had one in a while, don't recall if I've ever looked close, but clue me in to the date code on Yuengling.   Is it one of those self-evident Julian codes, like where today would have the sequence 19010 somewhere in it, 10th day of '19?

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:23:04 pm »
There's a code printed on one of the ends of the package. First two digits are year, next three are day of year.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 04:57:55 pm »
So I looked at the Yuengling at my local supermarket today.  Some was just over 3 months old,  but most was almost 6 months old.   I'll have to look at another store, but I presume this is a distributor issue and not just lack of turnover in the  market.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Something I've come to realize via checking dates is how seasonal some beers are here.

Yuengling cans sell like made through the summer and fall, then kinda trail off some through the winter/spring. Still sells enough to be available reasonably fresh though. Bottles are just about always fresh.

Sam Adams Boston Lager sells really well through the fall/winter, stale stock usually is all there is to be had spring/summer.

SNPA is decidedly a spring/summer beer here. Those packs canned in May? They'll likely be on shelves till March/April. Must be a popular cookout beer, because outside of summer good luck finding it fresh.

Guinness Draft, of course, is easiest to find fresh about middle January through the end of March.

What I've been universally unable to find fresh lately is anything from Dogfish Head, Bells, Victory, Firestone, Sweetwater, Hofbrau, Weihenstephaner, Stone, Fat Tire, and the list goes on. Seems to all prove that the fresh beer goes to the area around DC, and that distributors are pulling old stock off the shelves there an selling it here.

I get it, it's not like this area is known for it's taste in good beer. Budweiser is still so popular here that we're the only place that gets it in 10oz. cans. (Which is a brilliant idea, but I digress) But there's still enough interest in craft beer that we deserve fresh stuff.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 03:51:22 pm »
'Tis the season - 2021 Celebration is out.  I just picked up a sixer (in cans no less) from TJs. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2021, 07:39:02 pm »
The Mills River cans I picked up this week have a fantastic flavor.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
I just picked up some that was brewed in Chico. I can't say anything about the flavor of the cans, but the beer inside was great :D
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2021, 04:21:22 pm »
I just picked up some that was brewed in Chico. I can't say anything about the flavor of the cans, but the beer inside was great :D

I was tempted to respond to the thread about CostCo beer advent calendars by saying that CostCo is carrying my favorite beer advent calendar, even though it's the same beer for 24 days...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member