Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sampling for pH meter measurement  (Read 1172 times)

Offline tommyb709

• 1st Kit
sampling for pH meter measurement
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »
looking for advice on best practices to take a sample for my pH meter.

i assume it's bad form to lower the probe into the mash tun, so i have been trying different methods of obtaining a sample.  how important is it to get a sample free of grains and husks?  i have tried dipping with a shot glass,  using a dropper, filtering the sample (bad idea).  i saw a post where the brewer was using a thief...  the thief i use has a check valve which would clog quickly with the grain.

anybody have a good method?  pipette?  push a strainer down on the mash, and sample from inside the strainer?
in theory, theory is the same as practice, but not in practice.

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: sampling for pH meter measurement
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:46 pm »
The sample should be cooled down to room temperature before measuring the pH. Even if you know how the pH changes with temperature, measuring hot liquids will quickly degrade the electrodes on your meter. I scoop up some mash in a Pyrex cup and pour it through a small strainer into a little metal cup. the grains from the strainer go back into the mash and the metal cup goes in a bowl of ice water to cool it down.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »
I dip a Pyrex cup in to get a little, trying to get mainly liquid, scrape most of the remaining solids out with a spoon (back into the mash,)  and set it in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down to room temperature.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:41:36 pm »
I have a fine mesh strainer that is partially dipped in the mash, a sample then is dipped from the stainer with a small portion cup, that goes into a larger bowl with cold water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »
I have a fine mesh strainer that is partially dipped in the mash, a sample then is dipped from the stainer with a small portion cup, that goes into a larger bowl with cold water.

I do something similar: I dip out a sample and pour it thru a strainer. I add the grain in the strainer back to the mash and cool the sample.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 04:29:52 pm »
Grainfather makes this easy. When I check pH, which I admit is rare, I wait until the recirculating wort is running clear. I then dip in with a stainless shot glass to take a 1/2 shot glass sample. I cool the sample by swirling the shot glass in a cup of room temp water. It takes about 1 minute to drop the sample to room temp.