Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to add amylolytic enzymes during fermentation  (Read 1311 times)

Offline meowington

• 1st Kit
When to add amylolytic enzymes during fermentation
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:20:37 am »
Hello, i am about to experiment with non-saccharomyces yeast ( brettanomyces ) in brewing. As those yeast might not ferment well some sugars i want to add amylolytic enzymes during fermentation. I ve got 2 enzymes:
- Attenuzyme Core - which would hydrolise dextrines to glucose
- Fungamyl BrewQ - which hydrolises dextrines to maltose.
I want to make 2 worts, one with Attenuzyme Core, the other with Fungamyl
Both of them have low optimal activity temperatures, so adding them on fermentation wouldn't be a problem.

But i am not sure when to add them, i think if i add them alongside with yeast there might be too much sugars in wort.
I was thinking, wouldn't it be better to add them when fermentation is going to slow down, like 1 week after it starts?
My other concert is gravity of wort. I was going to make 12°P wort first, but now i am worried a little bit that it is too much, and there might be too high ABV that would kill my yeast before fermenting all the sugars. How low °P should i aim to? Like 10?
Thanks for all the responses.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: When to add amylolytic enzymes during fermentation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:35 pm »
Are you exclusively fermenting with Brett?  If so, I don't think it would matter much when you add the enyzmes. 

Are you fementing with sacch and brett?  I would wait until it primary is completely done, rack to secondary and then add the enzymes.

I would not be concerned about the alcohol tolerance of Brett unless you are truly using a wild brett.  Commercial bretts seem to have no trouble fermenting at 10% v/v alcohol.

Let us know how your experiments work out.

Offline meowington

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:24 pm »
I am using wild yeasts isolated from wine musts. I will analyse those beers with SPME-HPLC and GC-MS, and if I will post some of my resoults in month or two if you are interested ;)
I think i will add those enzymes ~week after starting fermentation

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:24:59 am »
A pro friend has used Amylo at day 3-4 of fermentation. It works best around a pH of 4.6, so the beer should be there by then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!