Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: amount of priming sugar to use  (Read 3286 times)

Offline birdman200

• 1st Kit
amount of priming sugar to use
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:51:04 pm »
A friend of mine who helped me brew did this part for me when we were doing our first batch of beer.  I'm not sure how much sugar he boiled prior to bottling.  It was an all extract kit (regular 5 gallons).

What is the normal proportion for priming sugar to wort?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: amount of priming sugar to use
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:55:07 pm »
About 3/4 cup of corn sugar.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:04:32 pm »
The amount of carbonation you want will change the amount you use (eg. a low carbonated stout or a high carbonated wheat ) 3/4 is a great general amount. I have gone as little as 1/2, a little too flat for me. And as high as 1 cup ( not sure I recomend that one. I think I almost had grenades.)

Offline birdman200

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:54 am »
When you say that you "almost had grenades" you mean that if you put too much sugar in then bottled, the bottles almost exploded during the carbonation period? (too much pressure?)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:44 am »
Yes, that's what he meant.

You need to make sure your fermentation is done and that your beer is fully attenuated before priming and bottling.  All that residual sugar is food for the yeast, which will make carbon dioxide.  No place for it to go, carbonation.  More carbonation (i.e., pressure) than the bottle can handle, boom.

Most of brewing is about avoiding things that go boom.  Take my word on that one.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:44 am »
It might be a good idea to weigh the sugar first. Just to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

There are online calculators that can tell you per volume of beer which amount of sugar to use to achieve the volumes of co2 for the style you have brewed.
Http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:07:12 am »

Most of brewing is about avoiding things that go boom.  Take my word on that one.

actually, most of my life is about avoiding things that go boom.  (unless it is aimed away from me) 8)
Don AHA member