Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Style Guidelines?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline alekmager

• 1st Kit
Beer Style Guidelines?
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:54 am »
Hey, I've been homebrewing for a little bit so naturally I am curious about entering some competitions at some point. My question is to whether the beers created for the event need to follow the specific guidelines to the T. For example, if I go for an imperial stout, and choose not to use a pale malt as a base and substitute it for another, say pilsner malt,is that accepted under the style still or would the pilsner malt disqualify that beer? Or say a beer that says use Noble hops, but you choose to use new world, does the same apply?

Thanks for any help
Alek

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Beer Style Guidelines?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:23:19 am »
Beer judges do not know what ingredients you used to make the beer.
What the judges will be determining is does the beer smell, look and taste like a stout is supposed to according to the guidelines.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:26:50 am »
If nobody can tell the difference than you can make all the substitutions you want.  So pilsener in an imperial stout is no problem assuming there is no DMS.  Using noble hops when the guidelines call for New World should result in a deduction of ~2-3 points or higher if hops drive the style. 

Offline alekmager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:31:41 am »
The only DMS to use is for the starters haha. But great, was always curious! Is there any other catches that will contribute to point deductions? If this style says 30-40 SRM for the stout and I go 60, is that contributive to point deductions?

If nobody can tell the difference than you can make all the substitutions you want.  So pilsener in an imperial stout is no problem assuming there is no DMS.  Using noble hops when the guidelines call for New World should result in a deduction of ~2-3 points or higher if hops drive the style.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:47:24 am by alekmager »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:45 am »
The only DMS to use is for the starters haha. But great, was always curious! Is there any other catches that will contribute to point deductions? If this style says 30-40 SRM for the stout and I go 60, is that contributive to point deductions?

You're thinking of DME.  DMS is different.  Again, all that matters is the perception of the judges.  If they can tell it's noticeably too dark, it will result in deductions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:21 am »
Take a look at the BJCP website.  It breaks out scoring for a beer.  Technically, appearance is only given a little weight (3 points max out of possible 50 total for all aspects, flavor being the biggest at 20 possible points), but as some folks say, you taste a beer with your eyes first...so it can be a negative beyond the appearance aspect alone (though it should not be).

Check this out for more specifics:

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline David Tapke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »

You're thinking of DME.  DMS is different.  Again, all that matters is the perception of the judges.  If they can tell it's noticeably too dark, it will result in deductions.

I'm assuming he did mean DMS - dimethyl sulfide, which the precursors to are very prevalent in pilsner malts given their low kilning.

Offline David Tapke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »
As long as you stand by the BJCP guidelines you'll be alright, as far as Noble hops go, take a listen to the Beersmith podcast (i think it was #172, but may have been #169) and they take a look at some of the more interesting features of hops that have been overlooked until recently. Some noble hops when used in the right combinations can provide the same flavors as new world hops.

as far as pilsner malt in a Imperial Stout... WHY?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »

I'm assuming he did mean DMS - dimethyl sulfide, which the precursors to are very prevalent in pilsner malts given their low kilning.

DMS to make a starter?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 06:33:35 pm »
DMS is dimethyl sulfide.  Pils malt has it, but it is generally not a fault in lighter color lagers,  but would be in ales. DMS is an example of something that could theoretically happen if you used pils malt as your only base malt in a stout but it is unlikely.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:01:32 pm »
It was a joke.
Note the "haha"

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk