Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Campden tablets and mineral profile and is it necessary at all  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Campden tablets and mineral profile and is it necessary at all
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 05:57:31 am »
Ah awesome thanks.
Is that kit able to read 0? The description is rather useless  ;D
Yes.  You put two tubes in it.  One contains a straight sample, one the sample plus reagent.  You view both through little adjacent windows against good light, ideally sunlight.   The reason for the straight sample is so you are viewing light passing through equal amounts of water.  The straight sample has a color wheel in front of it.  You rotate until the colors in each window match, then read ppm in a third window.  The lowest reading is 0 ppm, then it goes up in increments of 0.2 to a maximum  of 3.4.  Viewed against diffuse sunlight it was very clear to read.  If I wasn't absolutely sure it was a match for 0, I'd change out my filter.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KYT

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
Sounds like a winner to me
the Dyslexic Alchemist
Louisville, KY

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:58 am »
And since this thread has Campden in the title....  With such a precise measure of chlorine, you could calculate the bare minimum of PMB or SMB needed to remove it, if that's the route you choose to take but you're concerned about adding extra minerals to your water.  Palmer and Kaminski's Water book gives the calculations.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.