Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumping Into Mashtun from HLT  (Read 4501 times)

Offline RustyPlaneWoodworking

• Cellarman
Pumping Into Mashtun from HLT
« on: November 06, 2018, 05:28:09 pm »
So I recently picked up a pump to transfer strike water and spare water from an HLT to my mashtun, which is a standard orange 10g Home Depot cooler.

Would it be effective to pump water into the ball valve into the mash tun (bottom up) or would it be better to run the hose into the top of the cooler and pump in water from the top? Or, does it matter?

I’m trying to set something up where I don’t have to remove the mash tun lid very much to maintain a more consistent temp inside.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Pumping Into Mashtun from HLT
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:51:45 pm »
I don't think it matters much, but pumping it through the ball valve means that you could underlet your water into the grain bed. If low oxygen brewing mattered to you, then that approach could matter.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:03:18 pm »
So I recently picked up a pump to transfer strike water and spare water from an HLT to my mashtun, which is a standard orange 10g Home Depot cooler.

Would it be effective to pump water into the ball valve into the mash tun (bottom up) or would it be better to run the hose into the top of the cooler and pump in water from the top? Or, does it matter?

I’m trying to set something up where I don’t have to remove the mash tun lid very much to maintain a more consistent temp inside.

Thanks!

I really like pumping into the valve. When you underlet/pump bottom up, there are no dough balls. Plus the added benefit of no O2 is a plus. 

Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:24 am »
I don't think it matters much, but pumping it through the ball valve means that you could underlet your water into the grain bed. If low oxygen brewing mattered to you, then that approach could matter.

The one possible downside I've found with underletting is that it doesn't seem to diste ibute the heat as evenly as adding water from the top.  That means I have to stir more, which might negate any possible low oxygen effects.  More investigation is required for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:44 am »
The upside of underletting slowly I’ve come to appreciate is the uniform wetting of the grain bed which I’ve found to result in no dough balls. I stir very little and gently just to check.  I really like the results of the technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:19:11 am »

The one possible downside I've found with underletting is that it doesn't seem to diste ibute the heat as evenly as adding water from the top.  That means I have to stir more, which might negate any possible low oxygen effects.  More investigation is required for me.

I can imagine this would be an issue for cooler brewers. When direct firing and constantly recirculating, this really isn't an issue.

I do realize, however, that cooler brewers make up a big contingent of homebrewers. You have to know your equipment and how it responds to certain techniques.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:00:01 am »

I can imagine this would be an issue for cooler brewers. When direct firing and constantly recirculating, this really isn't an issue.

I do realize, however, that cooler brewers make up a big contingent of homebrewers. You have to know your equipment and how it responds to certain techniques.

Truthfully, I didn't decide to underlet for any low oxygen benefits.  It just works for my new brewing process.  If I get any benefits, it would be great, but it's not a big consideration for me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:10:14 am »
I don't underlet, but I effect a similar wetting from below by very slowly lowering my grain basket into the strike water (pre-boiled and chilled to strike temp before adding salts and sulfites) over the course of a few minutes, letting all entrained air slowly get pushed out of the grain from the bottom, with little to no bubbles occurring.  I use a ceiling mounted pulley hoist to lower the grain basket into the kettle containing the strike water (full volume no sparge).

After a gentle stir to assure no clumps, I then recirc on a closed loop HERMS arrangement.

It seems to work well enough on my system; YSMV, of course.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 01:08:05 pm »

Truthfully, I didn't decide to underlet for any low oxygen benefits.  It just works for my new brewing process.  If I get any benefits, it would be great, but it's not a big consideration for me.

Honestly, a lot of people just like to underlet for reasons already pointed out and not for anything related to LOB. Which is cool, because everything doesn't always have to boil down to the oxygen discussion. Some techniques are just cool on their own.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »
Honestly, a lot of people just like to underlet for reasons already pointed out and not for anything related to LOB. Which is cool, because everything doesn't always have to boil down to the oxygen discussion. Some techniques are just cool on their own.

For me, it was more about practical then low oxy or cool.  Once I decided I was going to use the Mash and Boil and a HLT, it became the easiest way to get the liquor from there to the tun.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
Does one have to underlet slowly?  If so, how slow?  My HLT is raised above the MT, so I gravity drain.  Would that be slow enough?  It would be nice to have fewer dough balls, and better LDO.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:16:40 pm »
Does one have to underlet slowly?  If so, how slow?  My HLT is raised above the MT, so I gravity drain.  Would that be slow enough?  It would be nice to have fewer dough balls, and better LDO.

I don't think it matters.  I go as fast as my pump will pump it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:16 pm »

For me it is just a matter of trying to reduce potential oxidation in the mashing process.  I agree that if LODO is not the objective, fill it fast and stir it like crazy to equalize the temperature and eliminate the doughballs.  For LODO, you want to underlet slowly enough to prevent air pockets that bubble to the surface.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 07:35:37 pm »
That's interesting! So underletting reduces or eliminates dough balls without stirring. Hmmmm! I'll have to try that next brew (which is an Irish Red Ale happening on 11/18). I suspect that the HLT will fill more slowly, but all I have to do to set it up is run the hose to the ball valve, so no big deal.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 08:40:54 pm »
I underlet as fast as the pump goes. It may take some stirring, and recirculation, but I hit my target temp
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!