Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where did the ice in my keezer go?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Where did the ice in my keezer go?
« on: November 07, 2018, 06:51:58 am »
This is not of earth shaking importance, but...  Last night I made some gas line mods in my keezer.  All flare connections,  and I used nylon flare washers.  But of course as the new work cooled down, things contract,  and a few hours later I discovered a little leakage -- opened the lid and immediately got the CO2 burn in the nose.  Tested everything in water, tightened up, all sorted out.  I also noted a lot of condensation -- figured it was from having the lid open a lot on a relatively warm fall day -- and that reminded me it was time to address the usual minor ice buildup again soon.  I do keep DampRid in there.  Off to bed.  This morning I checked on things and, to my surprise,  not only have the connections held and the CO2 seems to have dissipated (by nose test) but the keezer is dry, and the ice buildup is gone!   Just a tiny bit of water on the floor, vacuumed it up.  Probably not enough water to represent all the condensation and the ice.  And it's not all in the DampRid.  So now I scratch my head and say, what the...?  Did the CO2 play a role?  Is it all coincidence?   Chemists?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Where did the ice in my keezer go?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:11 am »
I don't have ideas where the missing water went, but this is the first time I've heard of DampRid. So thank you for that. I definitely need to use this product. What size do you use for your keezer, and about how long does it last? Thanks again.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:41 pm »
I don't have ideas where the missing water went, but this is the first time I've heard of DampRid. So thank you for that. I definitely need to use this product. What size do you use for your keezer, and about how long does it last? Thanks again.

I put one of the tubs they sell that look like quart yogurt tubs in the keezer, the fermentation chamber,  the tote where I keep tubing and racking equipment... anywhere I want to keep dry.  How long it lasts is dependent on the season and how often you open the keezer.  The thing about the tub is the handy strainer  basket for the calcium chloride flakes  and the collection tub for the solution.   But note that DampRid is just calcium chloride flakes, same as driveway ice melt.  If you live in a cold climate where you buy 50 lb bags of that anyway, it's a cheap refill.  You could also just construct your own strainer and tub.  The stuff really does a good job of taking moisture out of the air.  Really slows down the frosting up of the walls, so I just have to deal with that maybe once a year. At the end of the humid summer season.   So I guess that's done now!

When I think about it,  the puddle and the DampRid could actually account for the missing H2O in whatever state.  But I've never seen the ice in the corner of the keezer just melt on it's own!  That's where I wonder if the CO2 had an effect.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »
Well. I said that one time I had like a quarter gallon of star San disappear when I had damp rid in my keezer.
Mine generally has no moisture now that it’s a bit drier.
I’m on my second tub in maybe 6 months or so. Only cost 2.99. Or something cheap.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."