Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressure transfer  (Read 1053 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Pressure transfer
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:34:13 am »
 I'm thinking with the right mix of hobbled fittings I could pressure transfer from a bucket to keg. Anyone have any valid reasons I couldn't?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pressure transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:38:36 am »
No reason you can’t. I’ve seen several creative ideas that work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:47:55 am »
Nope.  But you could also start a siphon into keg and once siphon is going direct the CO2 exiting the keg into the bucket to achieve a nearly closed transfer.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:33:21 am »
Yep, I close loop transfer a lot (mostly with my 10 gallon lagers, but also with ales that are in the right fermenter).  I mounted a cornie "gas in" keg post on the top lid of many fermenters, so I first fill the keg with sanitizer, proceed to purge receiving kegs with CO2 pushing out all sanitizer, then I use the CO2 pressure in the keg to purge the receiving line and CO2 line, then I hook up a receiving line from the fermenter spigot to the keg out post and a CO2 line from the keg in post to the fermenter lid in post.  I can also pressurize the fermenter slightly by first hooking up a CO2 tank line to the fermenter lid, if I want to transfer the fermented beer at a quicker rate if I need to do that, but I rarely find the need to go that route.

I use the fermenter lid posts as blow off tubes during fermentation (I typically use 7 gallon SS Brew Tech fermenters for ales and 14 gallon Chapman SS fermenters for lagers).

Just one way to do it.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"