Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best way to add vanilla, maple, cinnamon  (Read 1851 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Best way to add vanilla, maple, cinnamon
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:25 pm »
This year at the Great American Beer Festival one of the beers I had stood out, it was a "breakfast ale", actually a brown ale with vanilla, cinnamon, and maple, and very low hops (15 IBU if i remember correctly). It was excellent. None of the flavors were overpowering, but all were noticeable. I am working on a version of this of my own and would like to know the best way to add those flavors. I assume vanilla bean would be the way to go, but how many? and when? For cinnamon, would you use sticks? Again, how many and when? For maple would you use syrup? I have tried this before with less than stellar results. Is there a better way to get maple without using an enormous amount of maple syrup?

Sorry, I posted this before I saw another question about maple.....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:48:50 pm by David »
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best way to add vanilla, maple, cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »
I've mentioned elsewhere that most of the "cinnamon" sold in the US is actually the related cassia bark.  This comes in sticks that are thick and hard, tightly curled and reddish all the way through.  Its flavor is hot, and often harsh (think red hot candies.)  What you probably want is true cinnamon, which is papery,  loosely curled,  and light brown/ tan in color,  even lighter on the inside;  it has the sweet, mild,  complex cinnamon flavor you want, and is often found in Indian and Latin American groceries.  One of its components is linalool, so it plays well with hops!  Also at an Indian grocery you'll find fenugreek seed,  which tastes so much more like maple than maple itself does, it is actually used to flavor pancake syrup.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:34:36 am »
Vanilla
Vanilla is a very easy flavoring to add.  I recommend using a good quality bean, such as the beans from Madagascar.  I would also recommend soaking them in vodka for a couple days to kill off any bacteria before adding them to your brew.  I also recommend adding to the secondary.  Three beans go a long way.

Cinnamon
It sounds like Robert has educated both of us on this subject.  His answer easily explains why I have had very different results using cinnamon sticks.  And I agree with him, sticks are the best approach.  I have used them both in the boil and in the secondary.  I think there is more cinnamon flavor added in the secondary.  I recently added 1-1/2 oz. to a 5 gallon batch with very favorable results.  Note: the nice cinnamon flavor seems to diminish slightly as the beer matures.  So if the cinnamon is strong at first, give it a week to mellow out.

Maple
Unfortunately, you will never get maple flavoring from maple syrup.  (There was another post/thread yesterday on this subject). I would be willing to bet the beer you enjoyed used maple flavoring and not real maple.  You can get maple flavoring from Amazon.  But check the other post for more information.  Also BYO had a great article a couple years ago on this subject along with good recommendations on how to add maple flavor to your beer.

Lot of writing here, sorry.  But I hope it helps!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:12:39 am »
Vanilla
Vanilla is a very easy flavoring to add.  I recommend using a good quality bean, such as the beans from Madagascar.  I would also recommend soaking them in vodka for a couple days to kill off any bacteria before adding them to your brew.  I also recommend adding to the secondary.  Three beans go a long way.

I too make a tincture of Everclear and vanilla beans.  Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise and then into strips about a half inch long.  Soak them in vodka or Everclear, just enough to completely cover the bean slices, for an hour or so, or up to a day as KellerBrauer does (the alcohol will kill any bacteria pretty quickly) and add the whole tincture to the beer (I do it in the secondary and just did it a couple days ago with my Peppermint Pattie milk stour) and you are good to go.  I would leave the beans in contact with the beer for  at least five days.

Cinnamon and Maple the same and use Rob's post for cinnamon (thanks Rob, I didn't know there was a huge difference)
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
For vanilla, I make it easy and add pure extract. I found somewhere that one tsp is roughly equal to one bean but I don't know if that's accurate.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:00:06 pm »
For vanilla, I make it easy and add pure extract. I found somewhere that one tsp is roughly equal to one bean but I don't know if that's accurate.

Too many "ifs" for that to be 100% accurate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 02:00:31 pm »

"If" it works for you go for it. Works well for me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 02:19:05 pm »

"If" it works for you go for it. Works well for me.

:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:06:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, will update with future results.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford