Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ice bath vs ice water pumped through the chiller  (Read 1622 times)

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
ice bath vs ice water pumped through the chiller
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »
I was wondering what you all thought would get wort temp down faster.  Would an ice bath plus ground water copper coil chiller be faster than running ice water through the coil chiller with my sub pump? 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: ice bath vs ice water pumped through the chiller
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »
This is a pure physics question.

Yes, applying an ice bath in addition WILL lower temps faster. 
The real question is how much faster.  That depends of ground water temp, flow, wort temp, ambient temp, type of vessel, level of immersion, is the ice bath being mixed, is the wort being stirred, etc.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »
If you are describing putting the wort in an ice bath, then using an immersion chiller in the wort hooked up to tap water supply, versus recirculating the water in the immersion chiller from the ice path, then probably not significantly faster. the ice bath will help some but with out fluid flow around the wort it will form a barrier layer that will reduce transfer of heat.  now if you have the ability to recirc the ice water through the chiller, then why not put the wort in the ice bath that you are using with the submersible pump.  it is hard to beat 32 degree water going through the chiller
Don AHA member

Offline jklinck

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
I was wondering what you all thought would get wort temp down faster.  Would an ice bath plus ground water copper coil chiller be faster than running ice water through the coil chiller with my sub pump? 

Are you talking about both methods from the beginning of chilling or after you have reached a more reasonable temperature, say below 100F?
BJCP National Judge, D0872