Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please help the rookie- Did I ruin my beer?  (Read 994 times)

Offline kingheadfake

• 1st Kit
Please help the rookie- Did I ruin my beer?
« on: November 09, 2018, 05:23:07 pm »
Hey everybody,

When it comes to beer I am a rookie so please be nice. I haven't bought a keg in years. I bought a 50L keg for my birthday which doesn't start for about 24 hours. Out of excitement, upon getting home, I tapped my keg to pour myself one of those initial foamy glasses of beer (Just a manual pump). I DID NOT pump the manual pump at all as the keg is already pressurized but I did open the valve and pour myself and my wife a glass. I then realized the party isn't until tomorrow after finishing my glass (about 10-15 minutes). I immediately un-tapped the keg.

My question is, even though I didn't pump yet, by pouring those two glasses did I ruin my beer for tomorrows party? Should I be seeking a last-minute replacement keg if possible or will it not be completely flat.

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Mark

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Please help the rookie- Did I ruin my beer?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »
If you've removed the tap and the keg is all sealed up, it will be fine.

You didn't pump it, so you didn't introduce much or any oxygen, and two additional pints of headspace isn't going to cause you any problems.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:46 pm »
Narcout is correct. You should be good man. Even if you did introduce a tiny bit of oxygen--and you probably didn't--it wouldn't ruin the beer at all, let alone do so in 24 hours.

But, if you have any beer left in that keg after the party, it will quickly become undrinkable from the oxygen introduced by the manual pumping you'll be doing during the party. It won't be dangerous to drink, but it will taste strongly like wet cardboard.

Happy birthday, by the way!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
It's OK. I recommend you tap another pint or two early. You know, just to make sure it's still good.
Far better to dare mighty things....