Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop storage fresheness  (Read 3258 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Hop storage fresheness
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:26:06 am »
 I know this topic has been talked about a lot, but just wanted some new perspectives.
If I vacuum seal pellet Hops and freeze them and the vacuum seal stays tight, how long would most of you say they stay fresh and usable. I have some year old hops that have been stored as above and want to use them this week. Is a year too long, should I just buy new hops?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Hop storage fresheness
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:11:17 am »
Not a problem. A couple of years is OK if they were properly handled and stored before they were vacuum sealed and frozen. I have used hops that were frozen in their original oxygen free packaging for 3 or 4 years without issue.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »
I had some amarillo that was still good at the five year mark.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »
I would say that it depends on what you want to use them for.  If for flavor and aroma (oils), go with your nose.  If for alpha acids... I wouldn't without finding out what the HSI (Hop Storage Index) is and doing the calculation to see what is still there in terms of bittering ability.  Different varieties lose AA at varying rates.  Some are shockingly quick.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:56:58 am »
Don't worry, I've used hops that are 4 or more years old that were stored in resealed metallized mylar and kept in the freezer. I think the hop storage index goes out the door when the storage temperature is below zero F.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 06:11:04 am »
I have also used hops that were several years old with no issue or loss of flavor or aroma.  I think vacuum packed and frozen should preserve them very well.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:57:08 am »
I agree with Steve....it depends.  I'vrr used years old resealed hops a lot.  Sometimes they're better than others.  I think it general it works out, but you need to decide on a case by case basis.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:58 am »
Here is a link that does a good job detailing the dynamic.  A handy chart by variety is a little past halfway.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/storing_hops_properly

Personally I have enough OCD and can afford it, so every Fall I throw out any unused hops from the previous year.  I'm not making beer for profit, I want the best beer possible.  If that means spending an additional $10-20 on a 5 gallon batch, I do it.  But that's me.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:56:25 am »
  Is your freezer frost-free or manual defrost, upright or chest? The "shelf life" of anything stored in an upright frost-free freezer is only a fraction of that of stuff stored in a manual defrost chest freezer. The defrost cycle is not conducive to long term storage, even if the manufacturers vehemently deny that it has any effect. Chest freezers have an inherent advantage over uprights with regards to long term effects of storage because there is much less exchange of warm ambient air with the cold air in the freezer each time the door is opened, open the door on an upright and cold air immediately starts spilling out on the floor and is replaced by warm air. Continual thawing and refreezing of the freezer's contents, whether from the defrost cycle or air change from opening the door is the major cause of degradation of a freezer's contents.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:42 am »
I use FoodSaver bags, not Mylar.  Any tips on sealing Mylar with FoodSaver vacusealer.  I found online some people just use a FoodSaver stripe at the sealing end of the Mylar?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:56:34 pm »
Mylar is a heat-sealable plastic film. No problems resealing the bag.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:39:43 pm »
Just did a quick search on Amazon.   You can get Mylar vacuum storage bags and oxygen absorbing packets in various sizes and quantities.   Pretty cool idea.  I've always used regular FoodSaver bags, might consider switching.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Hop storage fresheness
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 07:00:51 am »
Here’s a source: https://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/1-Quart-5MIL-Zipper-Mylar-Bags-Pack-of-25-500QZ-25.htm

Lisa is a certified Kansas City Barbecue judge and the owner of Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. She posts coupons on the BBQ forums each month. You might call her for a price cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:02:38 am by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 07:34:49 am »
So the down side of Mylar is you need to spend a grand or three on a chamber vacuum sealing machine to use them.  Aside from light protection, and let me say it's usually pretty dark in my freezer,  how much if any improvement in oxygen exclusion do they offer over regular FoodSaver bags?  How significant would it be in terms of storage life for our hops?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 07:06:48 pm »
To my knowledge, Foodsaver bags have little, if any, oxygen barrier. The metalized mylar has very high oxygen impermeability. I seal mylar bags with a standard impulse sealer and I don't vacuum. I just squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible prior to sealing.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National