Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop storage fresheness  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop storage fresheness
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  But if all the air is evacuated, and the pack stays hard indicating no air seeping in (I must say the compaction of the hops is a real plus for me, using whole cone and with limited space in the freezer,) it seems to me the net effect is similar to sealing in a barrier bag containing some air.  And if stored below 0°F, where "HSI is out the window..." well I've had excellent luck with this so far, guess I'll stick with it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »
 Martin, do use oxygen absorber packets?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »
I haven't gone crazy with mylar or oxygen absorbing packets, and I've found that my hops store just fine in vacuum sealed bags.

As always, do what you like, but I'm cool with the Foodsaver bags and trying to use up my hops in a reasonable amount of time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 08:32:44 pm »
I have another "trick."   I have limited space and changing tastes,  so instead of buying really long term,  I usually bulk buy as much as I have room for of what I think I will want when the new crop comes out,  and re-up midyear.   My assumption is that Hops Direct or whoever is storing them better than I would in the interim.   Like Joe Sr. use in a reasonable amount of time.   You still save big $$ over buying ounce by ounce  at LHBS.

That said, to the original question:   cold storage should allow them to be good for years,  just use your nose.  Remember the "hop glut" a few years back?  Brewers had so many years worth of pellets in storage that it really disrupted the market and led to many acres being grubbed up, farmers turning to other crops.  The virtue of pellets is, they keep.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:38:56 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 10:20:43 pm »
I buy a pound at a time and use them up within a few months, stored in the resealable bags that they come packaged in after squeezing out the air.  Not perfect, but the hops stay reasonably fresh as far as I can tell.

I don’t think it is excessive to use Mylar or other means to avoid oxygen ingress, but I don’t feel that I need to go to those lengths to keep hops usable.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Hop storage fresheness
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 03:51:06 pm »
Dragging up an old conversation here: does anyone use the Hop Age Calculator in BeerSmith to calculate AA?

I got some Kazbek hops which I understand are a higher AA Saaz with a bit of lemon peel atop the spiciness. Unfortunately, these hops are dated Oct 2016 and I am concerned I need to increase the qty to get the IBU I am looking for. I normally don’t even think about it but they are a bit older than I normally use. I have no idea how they’ve been stored. I immediately placed them in my growing collection stored in the freezer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
Dragging up an old conversation here: does anyone use the Hop Age Calculator in BeerSmith to calculate AA?

I got some Kazbek hops which I understand are a higher AA Saaz with a bit of lemon peel atop the spiciness. Unfortunately, these hops are dated Oct 2016 and I am concerned I need to increase the qty to get the IBU I am looking for. I normally don’t even think about it but they are a bit older than I normally use. I have no idea how they’ve been stored. I immediately placed them in my growing collection stored in the freezer.

I did that in promash, not much difference for 1 year old hops. For ones 3.5 years old I would do it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 05:01:28 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 08:11:00 am »

I did that in promash, not much difference for 1 year old hops. For ones 3.5 years old I would do it.

Same here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell