Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilling Star San/Water Down for Bottling  (Read 1310 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Chilling Star San/Water Down for Bottling
« on: November 10, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »
Tomorrow I plan to bottle up a few Belgian beers I have in the keg using a Beer Gun.  I was wondering if adding ice to my water/star san santizing solution would present any problems.  Rather than sanitizing then putting the bottles into the freezer/fridge, I hoped to get my sanitizing liquid as cold as possible.  I've found in the past that trying to bottle higly carbonated beer through a beer gun into room temperature bottles results in excess foaming.  Any issue with putting ice into Star San and Water to bring the temp down?  Will Star San not be effective?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Chilling Star San/Water Down for Bottling
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:27:49 pm »
As the ice melts, the concentration will  change.    Could you just make up the star san ahead and refrigerate it?  Then you'd know it's full strength.  Unless you're calculating the amount of water in the ice, and looking to get the correct dilution when all the ice is just melted.  I agree everything needs to be as cold as possible.  It just seems to me that chilling the bottles is still simplest.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 03:11:30 pm »
I make a 5 gallon bucket of starsan using cold tap. I submerge about 6 or 8 bottles in it. I also use the starsan bucket to set my beergun in when I'm doing other things. Dump, fill, cap, repeat. Add more bottles, repeat. Seems to work just fine.

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:33:13 am »
Why not stick a jug of star san into the fridge with the bottles?  Only pull out a case of bottles at a time, so they don't warm up. Replace the sanitizer with cold with the cases.   Depending on how you sanitize, it shouldn't be too difficult.  I use a sulfiter to sanitize so I'm only using a quart to sanitize my bottles.