Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Idaho 7 hops—wow onion/garlic  (Read 5397 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Idaho 7 hops—wow onion/garlic
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 01:23:41 pm »
My use of the word “rejected” probably had connotations that were not intended.  Let’s say “passed over” or “not selected”...my point is that there are priority purchasers who receive a first shot at evaluation, typically.  Am I wrong?

Not exactly.  But AFAIK, it is based on when brewers schedule their visits to YC, not on a plan to withhold hops.  And also AFAIK, homebrew wholesalers are afforded the same opportunity as commercial breweries.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 02:07:17 pm »
My use of the word “rejected” probably had connotations that were not intended.  Let’s say “passed over” or “not selected”...my point is that there are priority purchasers who receive a first shot at evaluation, typically.  Am I wrong?

Not exactly.  But AFAIK, it is based on when brewers schedule their visits to YC, not on a plan to withhold hops.  And also AFAIK, homebrew wholesalers are afforded the same opportunity as commercial breweries.

True, but let's say Sierra Nevada selects hops in quantity, then those lots are off the table for the next group. Sierra had a video on FB a few weeks back when they were doing hop selection, looking for 200,000 lbs. I recognized YCH in the video, you will recognize Terence

https://youtu.be/Bh2btlpomvA
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »

True, but let's say Sierra Nevada selects hops in quantity, then those lots are off the table for the next group. Sierra had a video on FB a few weeks back when they were doing hop selection, looking for 200,000 lbs. I recognized YCH in the video, you will recognize Terence

Yep, obviously that's true.  But there is no plan to keep certain hops away from homebrewers.

EDIT:  Just watched the video...we've been to all of those places!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:09:52 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 02:11:23 pm »

Yep, obviously that's true.  But there is no plan to keep certain hops away from homebrewers.
It's business, not a conspiracy. I'm often surprised at how good the hops are!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 06:16:45 pm »

Not saying anything about conspiracy.  Just late/ sometimes last dibs.  Natural order of business and the hobbyist is not likely to get the best hops every time.  As expected.  I am a user of foreign hops and I am sure it is similar regarding them.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »

Not saying anything about conspiracy.  Just late/ sometimes last dibs.  Natural order of business and the hobbyist is not likely to get the best hops every time.  As expected.  I am a user of foreign hops and I am sure it is similar regarding them.
I had some Hallertau hops with seeds once.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »
Depends on who the hop buyer is I guess. I'm quite certain Ted Hausotter of Hop Heaven personally selects his hops on site.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 06:22:10 pm »
I buy a lot from Hops Direct.   Obviously they're selecting their own, and everything I've ever had has been top shelf.   Just got a pound of Amarillo,  and seem to be getting a good bit of sulfur.   Notice a bit more brown than most hops from them.  So it could be the late harvest thing -- the alpha is pretty high.   But I also wonder if it's my perception (though I'm usually not oversensitive to sulfur compounds,  not a broccoli hater for instance, and don't recall getting this from Amarillo before.)  Anyway I figure I'll do a single hop beer and see how they play.

EDIT/ CORRECTION/ RETRACTION
Did another rub and sniff tonight and I cannot detect any of the sulfur/ onion/ garlic I thought I was picking up last night.   Hops Direct still batting 1.000 in my experience.  My nose apparently more prone to a slump.  I will do that single hop beer anyway, more confidently.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:27:52 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:29 am »
A different beverage but still onion and garlic flavor .  .  .

We got milk from my uncle's cows when I was a kid. In the spring months, the cows would eat wild onions and the taste of garlic would carry over into their milk. Pasteurizing would make ti safe to drink, but did nothing to remove that taste.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:11 pm »
Update....
A week ago I got another batch of this hop from a different distributor. Upon opening it I got no onion or garlic. A lot of cherry and tropical smell. I did the hop test with a couple pellets in a bud light bottle and like the taste and smell quite a bit.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.