Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning *inside* of stainless steel coil?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline anykine

• 1st Kit
Cleaning *inside* of stainless steel coil?
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:08:23 pm »
I bought a stainless steel immersion chiller that I plan to pump mash wort through, as part of a budget DIY HERMS system (with Sous Vide machine as heater).

What is the best way to clean the inside of the steel coil straight from the factory?

TSP?

Just PBW?

Soap?

What’s the best practice? I don’t want machine oil or any crud from the manufacturing process in my beer.

Thanks!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cleaning *inside* of stainless steel coil?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:04:58 pm »
I have heard that dish soap water is perfectly fine to use.  Give it a warm long circulation and you should be good to rinse well and use.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline anykine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:52 pm »
Thanks.   I don’t know about how they make theses things and if soap would do the trick.  I’m relieved.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »
Personally I'd just flush it with a gallon or two of hot water. There's a lot less crud in there than you think. If you must use a cleaner, I'd use hot PBW or TSP.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:18 am »
I would use TSP, followed by PBW.  Allow each to circulate for several minutes.  RC is probably right in saying there’s not much crud.  However, better safe than sorry especially if the ends of the lines were not properly capped/sealed.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »
Not sure how many folks have actually used this stuff on stainless coils, but the mfg of mine suggested the regular dish soap approach based on its ability to clear up the mfg process oils and other deposits well.  You will be fine using any one or a succession of two or more.

TSP is sometimes difficult to source these days because the phosphates are not favored.

In the end don’t sweat it and rinse very well regardless!

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 02:05:46 pm »
Would this be an appropriate application for the old mantra of hot alkaline, water rinse,  hot acid,  water rinse?  That's what I do to most new equipment.   And old equipment.   Anything I think needs a good, comprehensive cleaning.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.