Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Christmas Ale (Great Lakes Brewing)  (Read 4122 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Christmas Ale (Great Lakes Brewing)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 06:44:02 am »
But GLB made a good one - at least it was a few years ago.  Try one if you get an opportunity. See what you think.

Just had a GLB Christmas Ale.   Ugh.  If memory serves,  it used to be considerably stronger.   But this year's strikes me as simply cloying, and alcoholically hot.  Not a great deal of anything to offer IMHO.   And last year's I liked -- the spice was so restrained as to be undetectable, but it was a nice winter warmer type ale at least.
 Now I've just taken a sip of 12 Dogs of Christmas.   At nearly 1% ABV stronger,  it is smooth, creamy, and deliciously balanced between malt and spice.  Not obnoxious spice, just plays nice in an ale spice. Like GLB was.  KellerBrauer,  sorry to tease you.   I see Thirsty Dog only distributes Ohio and eastward.  For giggles I also got Fat Head's Holly Jolly in my mix-6 pack,  a more recent pretender to the crown of GLB Christmas Ale.   I will report if I can withstand 3 strong ales in one evening.   (Where is my younger self when I need him?)

EDIT/update Okay the Fat Heads is just barely noticeably alcoholic and slightly bitter, not nearly as well balanced or smooth  and  creamy as the Thirsty Dog.   Of the three Cleveland area contenders for top of the Christmas tree,  I give it to 12 Dogs.   GLB, you've been dethroned.  IMHO. YMMV. And any other necessary disclaimers.  Interested in the opinions of others.

Well Robert, my lovely niece was kind enough to bring me 2 6’s of 12 Dogs from the Thirsty Dog brewery near her apartment.  I thought it was a good representation of a Winter Spiced beer, not overwhelming, nor cloying.  I thought it could have finished a little sweeter, but that’s just my opinion.  Overall, I enjoyed it very much and I also thought it is better than GLB Christmas Ale.

That said, I made a Christmas Ale again this year and was able to compare it to the GLB and TD versions.  While I’m probably being very partial, I enjoyed mine compared to the others.  The cinnamon and ginger comes through as very individual and distinct flavors in my brew where those flavors are very muddled in the GLB and slightly muddled in the TD.  In the end, I had some really great spiced ales this Christmas.  Thanks for the suggestion!!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 06:35:03 am »
My favorite local/regional this year was easily Columbus Brewing's Citra Noel. It's a dark amber ale with a nice toasty malt flavor, some hints of special B and caramel. It has a persistent tan head with almost a mulling spice aroma. I get more piney/resin hop character vs citrus, likely a Chinook bittering addition. Wish they would put more specs on their website. I had hoped to get down there over the holidays to see what I could learn from the brewers but will have to wait for a free weekend. All and all a very nice beer that gets even more complex as is warms up. 

david   
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:43 am »
I've never been a fan of Great Lakes Christmas Ale.  It was always too harsh.  But even with the knowledge that it's been toned down, the only way I'll try one is if someone else buys it (and there's nothing else available).  I have, though, always enjoyed the 12 Dogs but my favorite winter type spiced ale has been LagerHeads Winter Mischief.  To me, it has the best balance of spice and beer flavor.  I did take a 4 pack of the Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged 12 Dogs when we visited my son in the Chicago area this past month and that was very good.

I fully concur.  When it comes to local spiced winter ales, 12 Dogs is great, but Lager Heads is even better.  And Great Lakes is terrible.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:17 am »
I've never been a fan of Great Lakes Christmas Ale.  It was always too harsh.  But even with the knowledge that it's been toned down, the only way I'll try one is if someone else buys it (and there's nothing else available).  I have, though, always enjoyed the 12 Dogs but my favorite winter type spiced ale has been LagerHeads Winter Mischief.  To me, it has the best balance of spice and beer flavor.  I did take a 4 pack of the Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged 12 Dogs when we visited my son in the Chicago area this past month and that was very good.

I fully concur.  When it comes to local spiced winter ales, 12 Dogs is great, but Lager Heads is even better.  And Great Lakes is terrible.
Here's something very telling.  I was in a supermarket yesterday and noticed there are still pyramids of Great Lakes Christmas Ale they're trying to move.  No other Christmas seasonals in sight, the other breweries are all long since into their next seasonal offerings.   (Well so is GLB.  Which would bring us to my opinions of Conway's Irish,  but let's not go there.)  Point is GLB Christmas doesn't appear to have sold very well.  (Wasn't many years ago if you didn't preorder a case you were SOL.)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:50:21 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 10:56:58 am »

Here's something very telling.  I was in a supermarket yesterday and noticed there are still pyramids of Great Lakes Christmas Ale they're trying to move.  No other Christmas seasonals in sight, the other breweries are all long since into their next seasonal offerings.   (Well so is GLB.  Which would bring us to my opinions of Conway's Irish,  but let's not go there.)  Point is GLB Christmas doesn't appear to have sold very well.  (Wasn't many years ago if you didn't preorder a case you were SOL.)

Go to the Giant Eagle Market District in Cuyahoga Falls.  I was just there an hour ago and I saw several brands of Christmas ales.  Great Lakes, Thirsty Dog, Lager Heads, Columbus and I can't remember the rest.  But they were still there.

And come on, Robert!  Don't wimp out on us.  What's your opinion of Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale?  At one time, that was one of my favorite beers.  Then in the summer of 2014, Great Lakes changed equipment AND the head brewer.  To me, their beer hasn't been the same since.  And not for the better.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:11 am »
Okay, let's start with the second point.  You're right, when they went to the new system, the character of all the beers changed, in my opinion they got lighter, spritzier, less characterful.   Hard for any brewery to correct for a change in equipment, I suppose.  But my take on a lot of GLB's beers right from the beginning has been kind of the opposite, that they were generally a little too big and heavy for the style.  (Really stuck out more in the early days.) This still irks me with Conway's and Oktoberfest.   Styles you expect to be sessionable, and sometimes one is enough! 

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Dougmeyer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 02:53:29 am »
Ohh wow, That's nice.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:00:12 am by Dougmeyer »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:23 am »
Interesting you mention an equipment upgrade in 2014.  That’s about the time when GLB Christmas Ale began to decline.  I wonder if there is a correlation.

I have for many years been a fan of GLB brews.  However, I have never tried Conways Irish Ale.  I’m now compelled to do so!

How about Edmond Fitzgerald?  In my opinion, that’s one of the best porters out there.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 07:00:40 am »
Interesting you mention an equipment upgrade in 2014.  That’s about the time when GLB Christmas Ale began to decline.  I wonder if there is a correlation.

I have for many years been a fan of GLB brews.  However, I have never tried Conways Irish Ale.  I’m now compelled to do so!

How about Edmond Fitzgerald?  In my opinion, that’s one of the best porters out there.
Now Fitzgerald we can agree on.  A benchmark indeed IMO.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:18 am »
Okay, let's start with the second point.  You're right, when they went to the new system, the character of all the beers changed, in my opinion they got lighter, spritzier, less characterful.   Hard for any brewery to correct for a change in equipment, I suppose.  But my take on a lot of GLB's beers right from the beginning has been kind of the opposite, that they were generally a little too big and heavy for the style.  (Really stuck out more in the early days.) This still irks me with Conway's and Oktoberfest.   Styles you expect to be sessionable, and sometimes one is enough! 

LOL! Those were two of my favorite beers before the equipment change because they did have so much flavor!  I didn't find them heavy but rather full, in a good way.

Edmund Fitzgerald?  Good beer.  Porter/stout is a category I don't brew a whole lot.  Although I have brewed an Irish Extra Stout (Josh Weikart's recipe from the Make Your Best series) that was just excellent and will be brewing again in a few weeks to be ready for St. Patrick's Day.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.