Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tell me why this mash setup is a bad idea :)  (Read 1558 times)

Offline haeffnkr

• Cellarman
Tell me why this mash setup is a bad idea :)
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:19 am »
Hi,
Looking for feedback on this crazy idea.

Concept -
Put a smaller diameter MT pot inside a bigger pot that radiates heated water completely around the MT and put a HERMS type coil in the heater water as well.  Mash is pumped continuously and is full volume.

These pics show the concept a little better.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RuH7vfbaC8BeWm5x5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RuH7vfbaC8BeWm5x5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C85ZhuszkU68X4NE6

The big pot has an electric boil coil in it for heat, it is not a HERMS coil.  The MT ( keg in the pics ) would sit inside of the big pot full of grain, false bottom, etc.
I would bottom drain through the big pot, piped to a pump.  The wort pump would push the wort back through a herms coil in the water column and back over the grain.  Continually recirculated.
I would use my same controller to heat the boil coil water column to my desired mash temps.  The setup would be CIP. I already have most of this. I would just need to fab the drains.  I would for now, heat strike water in my eBK then pump to the MT and switch the 30 cord and use the same controller.

I am thinking this is a good idea.  But I want others to tell me why it is not.
I would think rapid step mashes, no scorching. Gentle heat to wort.

Or I could build a long, ULWD cartridge heater RIMS.  I would need separate controller, lots of stainless parts, etc.
I just want something that works and can be left somewhat alone during the mash time and can handle full volume mashes, is simple and is not 3 vessel :)

I currently , 2 times so far, used my gravity drain cooler setup and it worked OK as well. I am heating the wort in my eBK and recirculating up to the cooler with the small wort pump then gravity back down in the eBK.
My the temps in my MT do not ramp very fast to the set temps even though the recirculated mash is at my set temp coming out of the pump. Trying to keep 2 vessels covered to limit oxygen intake is a challenge as well....thus my desire to mash in on pot.  My herms hybrid would eliminate that I believe as the whole MT would be surrounded by set temp radiant water and I have one pot.  But so would a nice RIMS setup. 

Current cooler setup  https://photos.app.goo.gl/8MhbhUHaRruKnjfP7
I am trying to build around my eBIAB CIP pot.

Any way.....I
More thoughts?

thanks for looking
haeffnkr

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Tell me why this mash setup is a bad idea :)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:41:38 am »
I think you have a solution in search of a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:19:57 am »
I hate being that guy who always has to "out homebrew" somebody's idea but I think I am ok with these two things.
1. Make sure that heating coil is getting pressed down by the weight of that mash tun or it could leak or break.

Other than that, I like it. I did something like this with a sous vide and a small pot and it only worked if I recirculated. The center of my mash would get cooler than the outside of the mash. I guess I could have just stirred it but I had a pump.  You know what they say, "He who hath breweth for a long time has way too much brew crap that needs a good use."  It is an old saying that I just made up.

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:44:40 am »
i really like to keep my brewing very simple and easy. the blue mashtun with the wire braid, propane burner, no electronics, standard hydrometer, frugal stuff, easy to clean and store,
Frank Linkh

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:38:26 pm »
I like it, but wonder if you are able to step mash well with it.  I HERMS so I can do that, but I also understand those who single infuse, despite the limitations of single infusion.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:36 pm »
Holy crap! Read my post and realized my error.  Do not put weight on that heating element.

I don't see why he couldn't step.  It may not be quick but he could easily decoction quickly.  I don't know if it is a limitation. Other than a hef, i don't see the time investment worth it.  And even for a hef i wouldn't do it again.