Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: aaspinall  (Read 1076 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
aaspinall
« on: May 28, 2019, 02:36:15 pm »
I'm brewing a beer where the recipe calls for priming with corn sugar as usual, but also with a half cup of honey. I figured if I just added the honey, and even with stirring, it wouldn't mix well. Would heating it first and then stirring it in be better? Any other options? Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: aaspinall
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 03:02:02 pm »
First, if you add the same amount of sugar plus the honey you could have bottle bombs. I would just add the sugar like usual and leave the honey out. I doubt you would get any flavor from the honey if that’s the reason for using it. If you still are adamant on adding the honey make sure you compensate with the appropriate amount of sugar. Add the honey to hot or boiling water before adding to the beer at bottling time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 05:40:10 am »
I agree with dannyjed - the added honey will do very little to add flavor and if not properly proportioned with the corn sugar, you will create bombs.  For safety, I would keep the bottles covered during conditioning, just in case.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:18:11 am »
I believe I saw a chart somewhere that Kai put together that provides X weight of various sugars to get Y volume of CO2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 07:25:57 am »
I believe I saw a chart somewhere that Kai put together that provides X weight of various sugars to get Y volume of CO2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IIRC Palmer provides something like that too.

[You can do it the long way.  1g of fermentable sugar (not all sugars are 100% fermentable) yields 0.48g CO2, and the density of CO2 at STP is 1.98g/L.  That's all you really need to know to get your desired level of CO2 in any volume of beer -- and do take into account any fermentable sugar remaining in your beer at packaging.]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:35:24 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »
The recipe calls for only 3 oz of corn sugar, plus the honey. If the honey won't add any flavor, I'd just as soon use the corn sugar only (but probably use 5 oz instead of 3).

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 09:37:41 am »
The recipe calls for only 3 oz of corn sugar, plus the honey. If the honey won't add any flavor, I'd just as soon use the corn sugar only (but probably use 5 oz instead of 3).

That depends on the finished volume of beer you wish to condition and the carbonation you wish to achieve.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉