Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No Bottles/No kegs  (Read 1795 times)

Offline thejones59

• 1st Kit
No Bottles/No kegs
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:50 am »
I am in a remote location and home brewing. The bottles saved for me are from Alaskan Brewing and my wing style capper won't cap these bottles. I have no keg. What are my options?
 I have left the beer in bottles, covered them with sanitized plastic wrap, placed towels on top of that with  something flat and heavy on top of that. If this works I guess I will store the beer in a pitcher in my fridge.
 Can I leave the beer mixed with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket with a tight lid on it and get any carbonation?
 Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: No Bottles/No kegs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:56 pm »
The bottling bucket may work as a makeshift serving vessel, but you may want to secure the lid with straps or rope to maintain the seal a bit better.  Then order a different capper or get different bottles.  Best of luck - Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ulander6206

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:21 pm »
I use an ancient bench type capper. It fits most all sizes of bottles. Mine is ancient and very robust. The more modern ones are a bit flimsy. However, try a bench capper mounted to a substantial wood base - 2 x 12. It should work going forward.

Offline thejones59

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »
I am at a fly in, floating fishing lodge for the winter in Alaska. Winter caretaker. No mail or I would definitely get different equipment. Thanks for the help.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:38 pm »
I am at a fly in, floating fishing lodge for the winter in Alaska. Winter caretaker. No mail or I would definitely get different equipment. Thanks for the help.
Wow.  You will have to make something to cap those bottles.  I have heard of a capper that used a hammer a long time ago.  Can you disassemble the part of your capper that fits over the cap and then use a hammer and a piece of wood to cap the bottles?  Or is that the part of the capper that doesn't fit?  You need something to crimp the caps while pressing the cap onto the top of the bottle.  I'll bet you can find something to work.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:50:16 pm »
A simple and effective bottle to use until you are able to cap a proper bottle would be any plastic soda bottle with twist on caps. Soda bottles of all sizes including 2 liter will work. They are intended to hold beverages under pressure. Food safe and sturdy against carbonation pressure.

I suspect you will not get much if any carbonation without something more air tight than your present situation.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Offline thejones59

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 05:01:36 pm »
Jeffy,
 You sir are a genius. I took the crimper part out and used a flat piece of wood and a rubber mallet. It worked great! Almost embarrased I didn't come up with that myself but I'm too happy about it to care, lol. I fully expected a bottle to break but they all made it through. Here's hoping they can take repeated beatings.
Thanks a bunch.

Offline thejones59

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:10 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
Jeffy,
 You sir are a genius. I took the crimper part out and used a flat piece of wood and a rubber mallet. It worked great! Almost embarrased I didn't come up with that myself but I'm too happy about it to care, lol. I fully expected a bottle to break but they all made it through. Here's hoping they can take repeated beatings.
Thanks a bunch.
Woohoo!  Thanks, man, but I knew you could do it!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
This topic is my feel good story of the day ;D

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:50:54 pm »
Macgyver brewer!  Nice innovation.  Just be sure to tap hard enough to seal, yet not break the bottle....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"