Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Homebrew followup before starting #2  (Read 1714 times)

Offline BCaplette

• 1st Kit
1st Homebrew followup before starting #2
« on: February 15, 2020, 09:11:31 am »
Hang with me there’s a lot

So my 1st homebrew was ready for tasting after 2 week bottle condition.  NEIPA w/ Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe.  It hit on almost everything Color✅, Juicy Aroma ✅, SG/FG✅, Head retention✅ Taste ❌, Mouthfeel ❌.

The first one was a kit 4.8 oz flaked oat 1 oz honey malt, 1 oz carapils.  Regular tap water run through a britta.Steeped at 155-158 for 25 minutes didn’t squeeze or sparge, boiled the 1.25 lbs of Pilsen DME for 60 mins, cooled to 175F put in the premeasured hope stand packet for 25 mins, cooled to 68F  transfer time carbon, shaker for 60 to aerate, slightly over pitched London Fog by accident came out faster than anticipated.  Great activity first 3 days with a ferm wrap and inkbird set at 68 +/- 2 degrees (temp inside my apartment was 60 it just needed heating)

This is where I think I went wrong dry hopped with out a hop bag and those hops stayed in contact for a full 10 days, second dry hop at day 10 they stayed in direct contact until day 14 when I bottled. End with great carbonation

Taste was sour and bitter not like a NEIPA. Lots of grapefruit and lime but it smelled like pineapple, orange and peach.  Did leaving the dry hop in contact too long contribute? 

Second brew is Monday. I’m using 7 gallons RO for 5.5 ending with 11g calcium chloride and 3.5 g Gypsum ( was told maybe a gram of epsom and .75 g of canning salt might add well). To check off that mouthfeel box.

Using 3 oz each of El Dorado, Citra and Mosaic (divides into 1 oz for Whirlpool, two dry hops.  Thinking about just doubling the El Dorado, yes? No?

Any advice for round two will be appreciated

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: 1st Homebrew followup before starting #2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:05 am »
NEIPA is quite the style to try for your first attempt. There are commercial brewers who struggle to get it right. I would put the brakes on that one for now and start with something a little more new-brewer-friendly like a pale ale or a basic IPA.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:33:54 am »
Keep in mind that a 60 degree ambient temperature in your apartment will mean that the fermenting wort will be several degrees warmer, so making it 68 degrees will probably put the beer at 72 - 75, much warmer than it should be.  That would lead to fruitier (peach) and more solvent flavors.
I doubt that dry hopping had much to do with he flavors you don’t like.
The type of hops and length in the boil will create tropical fruit flavors as well as different types and intensities of bitterness.  Are you using a program to try to calculate the IBUs?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BCaplette

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:40:54 am »
Keep in mind that a 60 degree ambient temperature in your apartment will mean that the fermenting wort will be several degrees warmer, so making it 68 degrees will probably put the beer at 72 - 75, much warmer than it should be.  That would lead to fruitier (peach) and more solvent flavors.
The type of hops and length in the boil will create tropical fruit flavors as well as different types and intensities of bitterness.  Are you using a program to try to calculate the IBUs?

Yeah I’m using Brewers Friend, 1st came out to 48 IBU. 

Offline BCaplette

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:42:43 am »

I also got a thermowell this time around to have a more accurate temp.  Would setting the inkbird to a lower than fermenting temp be ideal?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »
There are very good reasons that seasoned brewers recommend simpler styles for the first few batches. We all know the temptation to brew more advanced beers, but have learned restraint. You may think you know how to brew but, more often than not, the crap you produce will prove you wrong.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 07:56:22 pm »
Setting the temp to around 63 or 64F will be better for the finished product.
I presume you used California Ale yeast, which will ferment really cleanly there (ie, Fermentis US05, Wyeast 1056, or White Labs 001)
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 05:36:56 am »
This is probably a silly question, but I didn’t see what method of cooling you were using.  If it is in a refrigerator or similar, then you should be good to go.  If it is in a swamp cooler or other non-mechanical set up, you must be diligent in swapping out the cool water or ice, frozen water bottles, etc...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:53:32 am »
Yeah, be careful with temperature. Ambient air temp is not the temperature of whats going on inside the fermenter.  Yeast metabolism creates heat. 60 degrees ambient should mean your yeast is working at about 65 +or-.  Personally, I don't like my ales to go over 65.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Nick Wojcik

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 06:47:10 pm »
Never think the age old advice of, "Relax, have a homebrew" goes wrong. I used to brew with a few friends, but we've gone down some different paths and I haven't been doing it for awhile so I'm back at square one. But I know the first beer we did together was hazy as all **** and the following ones got better and better. Keep notes! Can do the same batch and change something to see how it maybe affects the beer.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 03:38:15 pm »
Let it sit for a month, pop a few bottles in the fridge and you’ll be surprised.  I agree with Kevin though, try a regular IPA, a brown ale, or even a stout next time.  I find stout to be a forgiving beer and it’s great with seafood!