Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Guy from Saudi Arabia  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Timothy Harrison

• 1st Kit
New Guy from Saudi Arabia
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:42:34 am »
Hello all,
  I was Air Force for 24 years and parlayed that experience to a very lucrative position here in Saudi Arabia.  Not sure if most know, but this is an alcohol free country.  I was shipping in DME through a shipping company that didn't know any better, but those good times have recently come to an end as they got wise to it. Long story short, I am looking for recipes that will allow me to use some other kind of fermentable?  I have access to all your basic sugars. 
  I do have a friend back in the states that goes to the local home brew store and they are kind enough to package the hops in foil vacuum packets and label them with (parsley, celery seed, etc...) For instance, cilantro for citra.  You get the idea.  I also have been getting grains through all right just packaged in a zip lock bag with wheat written on the outside.  That friend has been hit or miss lately though, so I am looking for a good home brew store that might work with me?  I think I could go all grain, but I have limited supplies and have never done it.  I think those ingredients would come through easy.  I would like to say that all supplies get stopped before delivery here, so there is no danger to any parties.

Anyway, cheers and appreciate any help I can get.   

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Guy from Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:03 am »
When I was in Saudi the Brits had the good Homebrew. You might catch up with one of them to link up to a source for ingredients.

Apple Cider, wine, etc. can be made fairly easily if you can get yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:03:58 am »
I was going to also suggest a hard cider or even a mead might work for you if you can get your hands on some yeast.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:16:52 am »
Seems like some homebrew shop could send you DME and label as powdered protein shake, or something like that.

Years ago I shipped similar supplies to a friend of mine who was stationed in Baghdad. He said the beer came out pretty good.

Whatever you do, just don't let the Crown Prince find out.... :o

Offline Timothy Harrison

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
I was going to also suggest a hard cider or even a mead might work for you if you can get your hands on some yeast.

Great idea BrewBama and KellerBrauer.  I just looked up some mead recipes and they are really easy to make.  I can get yeast with zero problem.  However I see they taste more like wine.  Can I add hopes or something to make them more like beer?  I have never had mead so forgive my ignorance. 

Offline Timothy Harrison

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
Seems like some homebrew shop could send you DME and label as powdered protein shake, or something like that.

Years ago I shipped similar supplies to a friend of mine who was stationed in Baghdad. He said the beer came out pretty good.

Whatever you do, just don't let the Crown Prince find out.... :o

Yes they could.  Never thought about the whole protein shake angle of it.  Thanks! man that should work. 

The crown prince might just dispatch me Jamal Khashoggi style, but as long as I have some beer I am willing to risk it.  LOL ;)

Offline Timothy Harrison

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 01:56:10 pm »
Also I found this prison type recipe: 

Ingredients

1 gallon of water.
1 pound of white sugar. Primarily I am thinking of white cane sugar
Brewing Yeast.

Could I add just hops to this to make something palatable? 

I am pretty new to brewing (9 brews so far)  I have a very nice temperature controlled room (66-72) so that is not an issue.  I am just not sure I can get DME anymore.  LME is an absolute no go with the way the mail treats the packages.

Thanks for any help...

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 03:32:35 pm »
The "prison" recipe will yield alcohol but zero flavor. 

If you can source barley in country you could try your hand at malting your own grain.  It might be worth the effort if it was the only way to get it.

If you have friends in the State Department they might be willing to help you out (although not real likely).  It is amazing what can be moved around in diplomatic bags.  8^)

Good luck!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Timothy Harrison

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »
The "prison" recipe will yield alcohol but zero flavor. 

If you can source barley in country you could try your hand at malting your own grain.  It might be worth the effort if it was the only way to get it.

If you have friends in the State Department they might be willing to help you out (although not real likely).  It is amazing what can be moved around in diplomatic bags.  8^)

Good luck!

Paul

I have thought about sending just straight barley here and trying to mash it.  Seems like anything that doesn't say brewing on it goes through just find.  Guess I will try that.   Thanks.   All ideas are welcome

Offline filla34

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 04:15:39 pm »
Hello there! It's great to hear about your interesting background and experience. I understand that you are looking for alternative fermentable options to brew alcohol in Saudi Arabia, as well as recommendations for a good homebrew store that can work with you. I'd be happy to provide some advice and suggestions.

Firstly, when it comes to alternative fermentable options, you have several choices. One option is to use honey or maple syrup as a substitute for malted barley, which is commonly used in beer brewing. Another option is to use fruit juices or purees, such as apple or pear juice, as the base for your fermentable sugars. Additionally, you could try using malt extracts, which are typically available in either liquid or powdered form and can be added to water to create a wort.

In terms of finding a homebrew store that can work with you, I would suggest reaching out to online homebrew stores that offer international shipping. Many of these stores will have a wide selection of ingredients and supplies, and may be willing to work with you to ensure that your packages are discreetly labeled and packaged to avoid any potential issues with customs or local authorities.

Some popular online homebrew stores that offer international shipping include MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, and Adventures in Homebrewing. It's also worth noting that many local homebrew stores are willing to work with customers remotely, and may be able to ship ingredients and supplies directly to you.
https://alsolist.com/country/saudi-arabia/
I hope this information is helpful! Best of luck with your homebrewing endeavors in Saudi Arabia. Cheers!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 03:10:50 am »
"When in Rome do as the Romans do."

I would not touch this subject with a 10 foot pole.
Over 1200 views, you certainly got attention.

(" 6. Please be discreet with any discussion of currently illegal activity. For example, saying that you think certain drug or tax laws should be eliminated is OK, but presenting any indication that you are actively flaunting such laws is prohibited. ")

This thread should be removed.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:59:21 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 12:32:43 pm »
I was in Saudi for most of 1977. I recall hearing about a Filippino who was making grain alcohol. He was discovered by the authorities and thrown into jail for months on end. Saudi jails do not provide three hots and a cot. Prisoners are fed by friends or family bringing eats to the jail, having them searched and then having themselves searched for any sort of contraband as defined by Islamic law. I left Saudi in August '77; I have no idea what ever happened to the Filippino man. I would imagine his release was negotiated on some bureaucratic level and he was deported soon after.

In short, do not make alcohol in Saudi. Period. It's not worth it...