Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yuengling Golden Pils  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Yuengling Golden Pils
« on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:36 am »
Yes, I know, some snobs still claim Yuengling isn't craft. Whatever.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this beer. It's not low O2, so don't buy it expecting that. However, it is all malt, and quite saaz-y. It's quickly become a favorite. Hoppier than most standard Euro-Pils beers, but not quite as hoppy as Pilsner Urquell. Awesome in the MD humidity.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Yuengling Golden Pils
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:35:44 am »
Wow, I didn't know they did a pils. I believe pils is a very underrated style. A good pils is a satisfying beer to drink. I'll have to try it now. Thanks for posting.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:56 pm »
Thanks for the timely tip, Phil!  Cooling off (trying to at least) with one right now.  "Saaz-y," yes, some spicy malt background, crisp and dry -- in this weather, at this price, I can't complain.  (Recalls a memory of Moosehead back in the day when it had a big hop nose.)  I'll have another, please.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:33 pm »
Thanks for the timely tip, Phil!  Cooling off (trying to at least) with one right now.  "Saaz-y," yes, some spicy malt background, crisp and dry -- in this weather, at this price, I can't complain.  (Recalls a memory of Moosehead back in the day when it had a big hop nose.)  I'll have another, please.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm pretty tickled by this beer. A nice mini Saaz bomb pils that's under 5% abv and less than $14 a twelve pack. Seems to be selling well in my area, but then all beer is hard to keep on the shelves in summer here.

Except all the stale SNPA and craft IPAs. Sam Adams, Yuelging, BMC, Heineken, Guinness, etc. are what get a little scarce.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 08:19:49 am »
Hell yeah I would drink that if I could get it here. I like a Yuengling lager too (damn they have cleaned it up from late 80s and early 90s lol)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:07:41 am »
I'll have to try this if I see it on tap somewhere. Yuengling has replaced Sam as my go-to easy drinking "it's on tap everywhere" beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:37:34 pm »
My local kwikee mart has six packs of 16-ounce cans of this for $7.99 plus tax.  Well worth it after working in this heat all day.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:48:44 pm »
My local kwikee mart has six packs of 16-ounce cans of this for $7.99 plus tax.  Well worth it after working in this heat all day.

Local too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:15 am »
Wow, I didn't know they did a pils. I believe pils is a very underrated style. A good pils is a satisfying beer to drink. I'll have to try it now. Thanks for posting.

A pilsner done right is a masterpiece.  "Craft lagers" are blowing up right now in Portland.  Lots of people making pils, both German-style and Czech-style, as well as other light styles like Kolsch and Blonde.  A nice retreat from the 100IBU Hop Wars of 2016 and also perfect for the summer.   

I doubt I can get the YL here, but I'll keep an eye out.  They aren't quite national distro, east coast and midwest if I remember correct.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 07:42:53 am »

A pilsner done right is a masterpiece.  "Craft lagers" are blowing up right now in Portland.  Lots of people making pils, both German-style and Czech-style, as well as other light styles like Kolsch and Blonde.  A nice retreat from the 100IBU Hop Wars of 2016 and also perfect for the summer.   

I doubt I can get the YL here, but I'll keep an eye out.  They aren't quite national distro, east coast and midwest if I remember correct.
I really enjoyed all the lagers I had in Portland.  We had an especially good Koelsch at a pretty much unmarked brewery in the basement of an office building at Burnside and MLK.  I can't remember the name.  Upright maybe?
Yuengling Golden Pils is no German Pils, but it is very refreshing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 07:54:49 am »
Yuengling Golden Pils is no German Pils, but it is very refreshing.

+1, though to me sazz => Czech rather than German. It's a nice saaz pils, but it's not a Czech pils. Doesn't have to be though, and they make no claims that it is.

Seems to be popular, I'm having a hard time finding it now.

Offline brwrsboo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 08:11:08 am »
I wish we could get Yuengling up here in NE Montana. That is probably the only thing I miss about living in GA. Everytime I go back there for a family function, I bring back 8 cases of the standard and 2 of the black and tan.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 07:28:27 am »

+1

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  I’m enjoying a Preprohibition Lager that turned out incredible.  I hoped it up just a little bit more than the style outlines and my efforts are quite rewarding.  This recipe is a definite keeper!

I’m going to try and find the Golden Pils - now I’m curious!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉