Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary sacc to low for sour secondary?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Xoonz

• 1st Kit
Primary sacc to low for sour secondary?
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:03:42 am »
Greetings, I need some help with direction. I'm just not sure what to search on to find an answer to this. I did a primary fermentation for a flanders red using Safale US-05. It went from an OG of 1.051 down to an FG of 1.005 8 days later. (using my BrewPerfect) I wanted to do the Sacc fermentation first and then put Wy3763 Roeselare as well as some jolly pumpkin bottle dregs. Is the FG too low to get any sour character from it at this point? Recipe details are:

8 lbs Munich 8L
2 lbs Vienna 4L
1 lbs Carmel 20L
12 oz CaraMunich III 57L
4 oz Special B 130L

No Hops

Mash 5g 60 min @ 158 (1ml Lactic Acid) PH5.3 and Sparge with 3.5gal 15min @ 170
Ferment at 67 Degrees / No starters except bottle dregs

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Primary sacc to low for sour secondary?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »
I have not gone that route before, but with some experience with a solera of Flanders Red, I would guess that pitching the bugs will still work.  They can metabolize the remaining long chain dextrins and even eat the Sacc if necessary.  The bugs work much slower, however, so be prepared to wait it out.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Primary sacc to low for sour secondary?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 07:03:25 pm »
It's been awhile since I brewed a Flanders Red so I don't remember the SG of the beer before pitching the Roselare blend. I believe you should be fine. There should be some leftover sugars the bugs can consume. It will definitely take awhile for the Roselare blend to do its thing especially depending on temperature. I usually have it in a glass carboy for a year or better before I bottle it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk