Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recirculated mash return - manifold vs nozzle  (Read 1276 times)

Offline haeffnkr

• Cellarman
recirculated mash return - manifold vs nozzle
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:21 am »
Hi,
Is there any benefit to mash efficiency, temps throughout the MT, better/less grain bed channeling, or any other reason to have a manifold with a lot of holes ie nozzled, loc line type wort return to gently disperse the water evenly over the grain bed, under the wort level of course VS a sweeping bend or maybe 2 out of center tee fitting that recirculates around the outside of the MT .. sort of a mini gentle whirlpool over the grain?

thanks haeffnkr

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: recirculated mash return - manifold vs nozzle
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:27 am »
I think there some benefits, most of what you list. Most may be hard to quantify.  For me, a mash return manifold helped my mash temps converge and stabilize more quickly. I'm using this product and found it to be a decent value, easy to clean, have robust construction.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns?variant=7904579717&gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoUrHAfN21O08Qk6LuLiSiYkUTA5U8HZRCutJscAdIgEj_X8IyxXf2EaApvWEALw_wcB

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:43:44 pm »
I simply use a tube that returns recirculated wort in one end of the mash tun (thru the lid and just under the liquid level) that I draw from the opposite end thru a ball valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline haeffnkr

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:29 am »
I think there some benefits, most of what you list. Most may be hard to quantify.  For me, a mash return manifold helped my mash temps converge and stabilize more quickly. I'm using this product and found it to be a decent value, easy to clean, have robust construction.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns?variant=7904579717&gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoUrHAfN21O08Qk6LuLiSiYkUTA5U8HZRCutJscAdIgEj_X8IyxXf2EaApvWEALw_wcB

I am looking at this manifold as well.
Does this or similar manifold help clear the wort faster with a dispersed flow that filters with less disturbance to the grain bed? ( making some assumptions here :) )

thanks haeffnkr

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"