Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GoldSwaen Red malt.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
GoldSwaen Red malt.
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:01:52 pm »
I have been working on a red ale recipe ala Sierra Nevada Celebration. So I ordered some BestMalz Red X from the LBHS, but they couldn't get it (said that BSG was out of it). But they did get some GoldSwaen Red malt. So I tried that.

The spec sheet says that GoldSwaen Red malt may be used for up to 25% of the grist. I mashed in on a 10 gallon batch with 7.5 lbs of Briess 2-Row, 7.5 lbs of Baird's Marris Otter and 5 lbs of GoldSwaen Red at 150-152F. After conversion I did a 60 minute boil using 1 oz of Nugget at 14.5 alpha and liberal Fuggle hops to finish (IBU 40). Yeast was 2L of WLP-007. After 15 days it finished out and I kegged the brew. FG is 3.3 Plato (1.013 SG).

I haven't got an FG as high as 1.013 in I don't know when! My FG always comes in at 1.007 give or take 0.001, so I'm pretty sure that the increase is due to the red malt.

I kegged the brew and put it on 30 PSI CO2 yesterday, and I'll get a taste tomorrow or Thursday. The color of the hydrometer sample was unremarkable. I hope the brew isn't too damn sweet, because I strongly prefer a dry beer.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: GoldSwaen Red malt.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
AFAIK, GoldSwaen Red is a ~20°L caramel malt, considered a substitute for CaraRed/CaraVienne (the GoldSwaen line are all caramel malts,) not for RedX.  That would explain its being recommended for only a portion of the grain bill, instead of 100% like RedX, which is a base malt.  Would also explain your color and attenuation.  Sorry, dude.  I'll drink that for you.   ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:00:46 am »
AFAIK, GoldSwaen Red is a ~20°L caramel malt, considered a substitute for CaraRed/CaraVienne (the GoldSwaen line are all caramel malts,) not for RedX.  That would explain its being recommended for only a portion of the grain bill, instead of 100% like RedX, which is a base malt.  Would also explain your color and attenuation.  Sorry, dude.  I'll drink that for you.   ;)

That sounds about right.

LA Homebrew in Baton Rouge has Red X, and the shipping costs as much as the malt. But a friend of mine is passing through next week and will pick some up for me. I'll update the post if/when I repeat the experiment.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 04:53:34 pm »
Here it is. The color is sort'a red, so that's all right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B04jFWBqOsiJlIvJx6bm91ExRIax4Njk/view?usp=sharing

This recipe goes way back to 2009 when I was making a lot of Irish Red Ale using Pasquinelli's recipe (Zymurgy, March/April 2009 ). I made the mistake of posting on TBN that I would like to make an Americanized version of the brew using American hops and yeast. Some European clown castigated me for bastardizing the style, and I replied; "Oh! Really? Name one style that hasn't been bastardized already!" I made no friends at all that day. :-)

I munged the recipe in the first post. It's actually 7.5 lbs of Briess 5298 two-row, 7.5 lbs of Briess Pale Ale Malt, and 5 lbs of Goldswaen Red.

The flavor, body and mouthfeel are all very good. And the fuggle hops are evident. I'm ready to repeat the experiment with some Red X.

Charlie

Link to the Zymurgy IRA article:  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/better-red-than-dead/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:10:43 pm by charlie »