Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Arcadia Brewing Facing Foreclosure.  (Read 1443 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Arcadia Brewing Facing Foreclosure.
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:14:27 am »
Hate to see one of the originals from MI in trouble. On the other hand, I haven't had a beer from them in years. A Ringwood brewery.
http://wkfr.com/report-arcadia-brewing-facing-property-foreclosure/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Arcadia Brewing Facing Foreclosure.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:09 am »
I will forgo any Ringwood comments....

I heard on the local news last night that here in Oregon, the number of breweries closing doubled over the last 4 years while the number opening halved.  I think we'll see this continuing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 12:43:46 pm »
This reads like they are looking for a buyer.
http://arcadiaales.com
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:06:32 am »
I just don't get it. Is it the sales dropped as new breweries entered a crowded space and gravitated to something new? We've seen several of these recently with breweries you would expect to have a track record of sales to lean on.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:46:26 am »
I just don't get it. Is it the sales dropped as new breweries entered a crowded space and gravitated to something new? We've seen several of these recently with breweries you would expect to have a track record of sales to lean on.

Something I'm seeing locally is that as the number of brands goes up, the distributors do a more and more poor job of keeping stock fresh with "legacy" brands. New brands sell well, so the job is easy. "Old" brands have a harder time.

Reference Sierra Nevada and Bell's in my area. When Bell's first came to the area it sold like hot cakes, and fresh Two Hearted was easy to find. Now that Bell's is old news it doesn't sell so there's no fresh beer to be found. SNPA only sells during the summer here, for whatever reason. Usually come spring there's still 12-packs dated from August/September time frame still on the shelves.

Local brews, seasonal brews, and whacky beers sell. Sadly that's kinda hurting some of the better beers and brands, in my opinion. Brown ales aren't to be found on shelves here anymore. Fresh SNPA will always be a classic. This is why I drink Yuengling, it sells, so it's fresh.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:01:33 am »
I remember liking some  of Arcadia's offerings, but haven't had anything from them in years either.   Now, is that because I've moved, on or because distributors are not bringing them in or making them visible?  Are those maybe two sides  of a coin? I honestly don't know.   Next trip to the stores I will look hard to see if there's any evidence of their existence.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:46:03 am »
This reads like they are looking for a buyer.
http://arcadiaales.com

Or a partnership similar to CBA? That seems like a good move for breweries for a lot of reasons. Seems like it'd lower the cost to distribute to certain areas while maintaining or improving service. Maybe a good way to use up excess capacity. I thought there were some CO breweries doing something like this as well.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:19:17 am »
My friend actually worked there and just moved back to Arizona. Time to ask some questions.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."