Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Basic Bru'N Water Question  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Slow Willy

• 1st Kit
    • Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club
Basic Bru'N Water Question
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:26 am »
I have a small 2.5 gallon keg in my kegerator system that is used for carbonated water that my wife likes to drink. I understand that carbonating the water will lower the pH some and my wife is on the kick where drinking water with a higher pH level is better for you. Leaving all that alone, I was using Bru'N Water to see if I could calculate the amount of pH gain I will get from using baking soda in 2.5 gallons of my tap water (which has been tested and used with Bru'N Water for many many batches of beer). My starting pH is 8 on my tap water. I leave the grain bill page empty and set me mash volume to 2.5 gallons of water on the water adjustment page. With no chemicals entered, I get a estimated mash pH of 6. I am confused as to why the mash pH doesn't come out as 8 with no adjustments made what so ever.
Bill S

Buffalo, NY

BJCP Judge - Certified

Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Basic Bru'N Water Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 10:10:13 am »
What water profile are you using?
Set the profile to "user custom", that will eliminate all the salts associated with a profile.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:50:06 am »
It may be a "Divide by Zero" issue. Without any grain input on that grain bill tab the water to grist ratio returns an error. If you add some amount of grain it will change, then removing the grain the pH does not adjust. Perhaps enter in an amount of grain to get the pH to match, then add your salts to adjust to your desired pH?
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »
The program won’t help you answer that question. Its not intended to assess and predict that condition.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks