Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn Syrup?  (Read 7520 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Corn Syrup?
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:02:16 am »
Has anybody ever used corn syrup in a beer? I have some laying around that I don't intend to use for anything else, so I thought I might use it in a tripel-ish recipe. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Corn Syrup?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:26:33 am »
It has vanilla added, so be prepared for that flavor...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:14:45 am »
let us know.  the little amish general store near my ma's farm has some cheap, as well as pure fructose and some interesting varieties of wheat and oats that may be worthwhile now that i think of it.
Don AHA member

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:06:21 am »
I just checked the ingredients: Glucose, glucose-fructose, water, refiners' syrup, salt. Hm, could be fun to try, could be a mistake.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:11:16 am »
I've used it a few times, in fact I'm going to make a batch or two with it again.  Its somewhat similar to using honey but doesn't finish quite as dry imo.  As MDixon said, most have vanilla added so be prepared for that flavor to come through to some extent, use a recipe you'd want some vanilla in it and you're good to go.  I've used it in PA's and Stouts and I've liked them all.  I don't know about using it in an IPA... might be good with the right hops etc.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:09 am »
I just checked the ingredients: Glucose, glucose-fructose, water, refiners' syrup, salt. Hm, could be fun to try, could be a mistake.
Isn't refiner's syrup sort of like molasses? Is this dark corn syrup?  I don't know if I'd want to add the color or flavor to a tripel.  Have you checked out Ted Hausotter's article on the sugars of tripel?  He gave a presentation at NHC and there was on article in Zymurgy July/Aug 2008

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4805/Sugars_of_Tripel-Ted_Hausotter.pdf
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »
Light KARO syrup (and similar products) have vanilla added...the dark ones don't seem to.

I've used KING and ALAGA syrups in some brews with interesting results.
Sorghum syrup, if you can find it, is VERY interesting  as a sugar adjunct in some beers.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:18 am »
Thanks for pointing that out, it is indeed the light syrup which has vanilla. I just assumed the original poster was using light since they were attempting to make a tripel...

theo - I would not use dark anything in a tripel  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:50:38 am »
Isn't refiner's syrup sort of like molasses? Is this dark corn syrup?  I don't know if I'd want to add the color or flavor to a tripel.  Have you checked out Ted Hausotter's article on the sugars of tripel?  He gave a presentation at NHC and there was on article in Zymurgy July/Aug 2008

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4805/Sugars_of_Tripel-Ted_Hausotter.pdf

As much respect as I have for Ted, my experience is that his results are only valid if you add sugars during fermentation like he did.  If you add them to the kettle, as most of us (and most Belgian brewers) do, I don't find that his results correlate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:13:57 am »

As much respect as I have for Ted, my experience is that his results are only valid if you add sugars during fermentation like he did.  If you add them to the kettle, as most of us (and most Belgian brewers) do, I don't find that his results correlate.
That's an interesting point Denny.  But it's a much harder experiment to do when adding sugar during the boil as opposed to fermentation, so I don't really fault Ted for doing it that way (and I'm sure you don't either).  Unless you have your system totally dialed in, you will probably have enough batch to batch variability that could cause any differences noted, at least for the sugars that are similar.

So what are your findings Denny?  What I remember from when we tasted these beers at Ted's judging class in Hood River was that the brown sugar one was the worst tripel, the corn sugar and table sugar were better and similar to each other, and the candy sugar one was only slightly preferred.  It's been a while though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:19:14 am »
That's an interesting point Denny.  But it's a much harder experiment to do when adding sugar during the boil as opposed to fermentation, so I don't really fault Ted for doing it that way (and I'm sure you don't either).  Unless you have your system totally dialed in, you will probably have enough batch to batch variability that could cause any differences noted, at least for the sugars that are similar.

I completely understand why Ted did it that way, but to me it has no relevance to the way I (or many others) brew.  If I don't add sugar to the fermentation, it will have no bearing on my results.

So what are your findings Denny?  What I remember from when we tasted these beers at Ted's judging class in Hood River was that the brown sugar one was the worst tripel, the corn sugar and table sugar were better and similar to each other, and the candy sugar one was only slightly preferred.  It's been a while though.

I wasn't there, but I in no way question the results you guys got.  It's something I discussed with Ted.  Although I haven't done a rigorous experiment like he did, my observations on using sugar in the kettle are that I've found no difference in corn, cane, brown, or candy sugar in the amounts I typically use (10-20% of total fermentables).

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:27:15 am »

I wasn't there, but I in no way question the results you guys got.  It's something I discussed with Ted.  Although I haven't done a rigorous experiment like he did, my observations on using sugar in the kettle are that I've found no difference in corn, cane, brown, or candy sugar in the amounts I typically use (10-20% of total fermentables).
Oh, I just put down what we got for comparison's sake.   :)

I've heard similar things about the sugar form not mattering, but it makes me wonder if there is more batch to batch variability to overcome than differences in the sugar.  When you've done it was it that you can't tell the difference, or there is just no preference?

It would be good if someone did testing in the boil, but it would be a total PITA.  And then you'd have 20 or gallons of tripel, which is good or bad depending on how much you like the style.  :)

Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:39:55 am »
Oh, I just put down what we got for comparison's sake.   :)

I've heard similar things about the sugar form not mattering, but it makes me wonder if there is more batch to batch variability to overcome than differences in the sugar.  When you've done it was it that you can't tell the difference, or there is just no preference?

It would be good if someone did testing in the boil, but it would be a total PITA.  And then you'd have 20 or gallons of tripel, which is good or bad depending on how much you like the style.  :)

The closest I've gotten is doing back to back batches of tripel with different sugars.  I know for a fact that I didn't have a preference, but I couldn't swear there was no difference...although that's my recollection.  I make quite a few batches of tripel and have a standard recipe and technique dialed in, so there shouldn't have been much variation in the beers.  Although as you say, that's damn hard to do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:45:24 am »
The closest I've gotten is doing back to back batches of tripel with different sugars.  I know for a fact that I didn't have a preference, but I couldn't swear there was no difference...although that's my recollection.  I make quite a few batches of tripel and have a standard recipe and technique dialed in, so there shouldn't have been much variation in the beers.  Although as you say, that's damn hard to do.

Cool Denny, thanks for the detail.  Personally, I usually use palm sugar when I feel like adding gravity to a beer.  I don't really have a good reason for doing it though. :D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:30 am »
I recently made my standard tripel recipe using demarara....there was a big difference that was readily noticeable.  A much richer, more caramelly flavor.  It took it out of style for a tripel, but was delicious.

www.dennybrew.com