Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping during active primary fermentation?  (Read 14876 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Dry hopping during active primary fermentation?
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:09:00 am »
 I was thinking of pouring my dry hop additions in with my yeast.   Has anyone done this and any good or bad results? Since there’s no alcohol present yet, increased risk of contamination?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
Re: Dry hopping during active primary fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:15:00 am »
I have not dry hopped when pitching yeast but after 2-3 days durning high krausen for biotransformation. Should help result in haziness for NEIPA. I have my first attempt at this in fermenter now but seems like it worked. I’m not concerned with contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:41:47 am »
Does doing this scrub a lot of the hop aroma out when the beer ferments?  That would be my concern.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:58 am »
 Good question. I am also very interested in hop taste longevity.  I don’t drink my beers all that quickly and my dry hopping fades. Trying to figure a way to have a more stable long-term taste.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:38 am »
I prefer to get the beer away from the yeast before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 11:29:01 am »
I was thinking of pouring my dry hop additions in with my yeast.   Has anyone done this and any good or bad results? Since there’s no alcohol present yet, increased risk of contamination?

I've done close to this. I once added the dry hops the day after pitching. Fermentation was well underway but it was also well before high krausen. This early dry hopping added a hop punch, but it wasn't as strong as what I get with more traditional dry hopping. Some scrubbing probably occurred but also a lot of the hop particles stayed atop the krausen foam and ended up on the sidewall when the krausen fell. So any benefit (and personally I don't think there is any) would be at least partially offset by these considerations.

I've tried most of the dry hopping permutations for a NEIPA. IMO, none of them make a superior beer compared to a traditional, single dry-hop charge after fermentation is over.

There's always some risk of contamination from dry hopping but it's probably very low, and it would be mitigated by healthy yeast and optimized wort.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21:23 am »
I dry hop in the keg (in a bag) and the aroma is there until the end.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:38 am »
I prefer to get the beer away from the yeast before dry hopping.

I have always done this as well, Denny.  However, when I made my most recent Black IPA, I dry hopped in the conical fermenter without first burping out the yeast.  I did this because I did not have room at the time to transfer to a secondary and the beer came out great, even won a medal with it.  But I still prefer to get the beer off the yeast before adding the dry hops.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 08:45:01 am »
I've had my best results dry hopping after cold crashing, but even then after a couple weeks beers with heavy late hopping are just a shadow of what they were when fresh. I'm sure there must be a way to keep those flavors and aromas longer, but I haven't found it [yet].
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 09:07:16 am »
I've had my best results dry hopping after cold crashing, but even then after a couple weeks beers with heavy late hopping are just a shadow of what they were when fresh. I'm sure there must be a way to keep those flavors and aromas longer, but I haven't found it [yet].

I've found that using cryo hops for dry hopping helps a lot.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:57 am »
Nobody's found the answer,  it seems.  British brewers generally won't supply dry hopped beers to accounts with insufficient turnover to finish the cask within four days. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:22:59 am »
This is a supposedly common practice for hazy beers and people talk a lot about biotransformation bringing out new hop flavors. I know yeast can do things to hop flavor and aroma compounds; but I've never seen even a serious attempt at explaining why this happens with dry hopping during primary fermentation in any way that doesn't happen to hop compounds introduced through any post-boil additions (e.g. flameout, whirlpool).

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:19 am »
I have one on tap right now, which, after hearing all this stuff about biotransformation, I fermented with WY1318 and dry hopped during active  fermentation.   It's hazy all right, but I can't say it has any distinctly different flavor I can identify,  and the aroma didn't stick around any longer than usual.   It's kind of boring really.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Xoonz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 11:16:17 am »
Brulosophy did an experiment on this and it turned out insignificant (dry hopped at high krausen vs end of fermentation)

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 11:29:08 am »
Brulosophy did an experiment on this and it turned out insignificant (dry hopped at high krausen vs end of fermentation)

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

That's a data point, not a conclusion.  Although data points are good, too.  And insignificant in what regard?

www.dennybrew.com