Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping during active primary fermentation?  (Read 14670 times)

Offline Xoonz

• 1st Kit
Re: Dry hopping during active primary fermentation?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 12:02:58 pm »
Brulosophy did an experiment on this and it turned out insignificant (dry hopped at high krausen vs end of fermentation)

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

That's a data point, not a conclusion.  Although data points are good, too.  And insignificant in what regard?

I agree its a data point, good catch. Their taste tests were insignificant as participants could not reliably pick out the odd man out in the triangle test. Anecdotally they noticed the appearance was sightly different (clear vs hazy) but that's not something they tested..

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 12:35:53 pm »
Perhaps the only way to keep it (dryhop aroma/taste) around is dry hop in the keg.  Which I haven’t done yet. I usually end up just doing a massive whirl pool and that keeps the taste pretty stable with less of a chance of oxidation/staling
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
Perhaps the only way to keep it (dryhop aroma/taste) around is dry hop in the keg.  Which I haven’t done yet. I usually end up just doing a massive whirl pool and that keeps the taste pretty stable with less of a chance of oxidation/staling

I do whirlpool and keg dry hop, both with cryo.  Currently have a Rye APA kegged 9/14 that still has huge hop flavor and aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 09:32:52 am »
   Alas, kegging all my beer isn't an option, I normally have a dozen or more batches on hand, about half of which are dry hopped. I'm not sure if even a 20 cu.ft. keezer could accommodate that many kegs. Even if finances weren't an issue space constraints don't allow me that luxury so I bottle and use every tweak I can think of to keep my hoppy stuff as fresh as possible as long as possible.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 11:46:45 am »
I appreciate the expense angle of that many live kegs, but you can bottle from the keg, if you have a “slow mover”.  Even so, it is an expense to get started with kegs, admittedly.  I could never go back completely to bottling at this point, so maybe you are wiser than you think - once you keg....it’s hard to go back to bottling for anything but comps or gifting.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline davidpepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »
I'm interested in this - I have a "NEIPA-style" IPA fermenting right now, and I did an addition at high krausen to get that biotransformation everyone is talking about. But the info on "when" it should be done is contradictory:
- when pitching yeast
- when the krausen is physically at its highest point
- when 50% attenuation is attained

I hear one thing (doing too soon will have the fermentation scrub the aroma), and its contrary (doing it too late will not have the benefits of biotransformation).

So... I did a big addition a bit more than 24 hours after pitching (fermentation had stated after about 18 hours), and I will do a second "traditional" dry hop soon.

We'll see how it turns out!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 07:19:44 am »
I'm interested in this - I have a "NEIPA-style" IPA fermenting right now, and I did an addition at high krausen to get that biotransformation everyone is talking about. But the info on "when" it should be done is contradictory:
- when pitching yeast
- when the krausen is physically at its highest point
- when 50% attenuation is attained

I hear one thing (doing too soon will have the fermentation scrub the aroma), and its contrary (doing it too late will not have the benefits of biotransformation).

So... I did a big addition a bit more than 24 hours after pitching (fermentation had stated after about 18 hours), and I will do a second "traditional" dry hop soon.

We'll see how it turns out!

Keep us in the loop, David.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline davidpepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 06:10:06 am »
I'll report back. I added 1.5 oz of dry hop yesterday morning.

This is my first brew with the SS Brewbucket. I was hoping to do a closed transfer with CO2 to minimize O2, but there is so much hop particles in this beer (even before the last dry hop) that I'm not sure if if will work.

- If I cold crash, there is a risk of oxygenation, and the trub/hop at the bottom may be over the dip tube
- I I don't cold crash, I'm not sure how the transfer will go (so much hops at the top), and there may be tons of hops in the keg (which may or may not be a problem).

I will likely keg tomorrow on Tuesday.

Offline davidpepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 05:04:57 am »
I kegged this beer 2 days ago. I had some issues because of the amount of hop particles, but it went ok.

The taste of the sample was really good. I will post the full recipe on my blog once it's carbonated and I can say I'm satisfied with it. I used 4 hopping techniques:
- a small (0.25 oz) of Warrior as FWH
- a huge 10-min whirlpool addition after wort was cooled below 185F (Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic), 6 oz in total)
- dry hop at high krausen (Simcoe and Mosaic, 1.5 oz each)
- 1.5 oz Citra as a "conventional" dry hop (3 days prior to kegging)

So far, the hop aroma seems to be very good. Maybe just a tad too bitter, but it may somewhat mellow.

Offline davidpepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 07:24:33 am »
So, here's the recipe for that brew that had some hops at high krausen:
https://desgrainsauverre.com/2018/12/22/neipa-days-of-haze/

I'm very happy with it!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:15 pm »
I dry hopped in the primary one time. The brew room smelled great, the beer not so much.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!