Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Null availability of Viking Null-Lox malts  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Null availability of Viking Null-Lox malts
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:28:32 pm »
In a thread from July (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32061.0 ) narcout posted that MoreBeer was selling all 38 varieties of Viking malt. After reading the article on LOX-less malts in the new edition of BYO magazine (https://byo.com/article/lox-less-malts-their-impact-on-staling-and-head-retention/ ) I decided to check into their availability. MoreBeer now lists only 36 varieties of Viking malt, and they do not have the Viking Pale Zero or Pilsner Zero. I went to the Viking web site, and they no longer list the Pale Zero as one of their products, although they do still list the Pilsner Zero. I wonder what is going on.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Null availability of Viking Null-Lox malts
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 05:18:45 pm »
I think I brought up the Simpsons NUll LOX malts here  and was shot down. Will read the article, it just showed up today.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:38 pm »
I'm not trying to restart the debate on the usefulness of these malts. I am wondering why a major maltster would take a product off the market.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »
I'm not trying to restart the debate on the usefulness of these malts. I am wondering why a major maltster would take a product off the market.

Because people weren't buying it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:09:47 pm »

Because people weren't buying it?
Or maybe something went wrong with it. There are a number of possibilities, and I was wondering if anyone had any information on which one is correct.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:46:03 pm »
If it is still being produced by Viking (haven't looked but I bet it is,) I'm inclined to buy the slow-mover hypothesis.  These malts are probably of greatest interest to a very specific group of commercial operations, and an even  more limited group of homebrewers.   If it passes its best-by date in the warehouse (or just takes up valuable space there,) MB eats the cost.  Bet you missed a fire sale on the stuff.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:48:59 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:48 pm »
If it is still being produced by Viking (haven't looked but I bet it is,) I'm inclined to buy the slow-mover hypothesis.  These malts are probably of greatest interest to a very specific group of commercial operations, and an even  more limited group of homebrewers.   If it passes its best-by date in the warehouse (or just takes up valuable space there,) MB eats the cost.  Bet you missed a fire sale on the stuff.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

That would explain why MoreBeer isn't selling it anymore, but not why it isn't listed on the Viking web site anymore if they are still producing it. I wasn't really looking to buy any, but after the magazine article I just wanted to look at the specs a little more.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:46:15 pm by Richard »